What's new

Asus Zenwifi XT8 lag spikes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I tried anything I could imagine. Separating 2.4Hz and 5Hz, disabling AX, removing node connecting directly to one router, disabling 160Hz, disabling DFS and about 100 other options - lag spikes are there. But once my old AmplifyHD is connected, even though I may have slower connection, I don't have lag spikes which allows me to play just fine. So I figured why would I pay this amount of money AND loose a slip trying to. figure out how to make this mesh duo do what's it supposed to do out of the box. Today ZenWiFi AX is on the way back to Amazon. I pulled the trigger on ASUS RT-AX86U which according to my research doesn't have lag spikes (may have other issues though lol).

Also had to modify placement drilling some holes and positioning it in the middle of my home to avoid using more than one routers which is never a better thing.

Well, a few things worth commenting about:

1. I swapped the R8000 with the XT8 and interestingly, my kid is not saying his lag in Roblox are back. Should have. Weird.

2. The whole point of getting a new router system was to get Wi-Fi 6 capability (both my gamer kis have AX Wi-Fi cards in their gaming machines)
Hence, I don't want to disable AX on the router.

Having said that, I have tried disabling AX, just for testing purposes. Everyone noticed that the internet access got extremely slow. Speed test shows everything is normal but opening any website became slow. Very strange.

3. On the XT8 routers, disabling AX is an "all encompassing" setting. There is only one setting which is supposed to disable AX on all three bands.

json, do you have any update on this issue you were facing?

Hello, I'm hoping someone could help figure out a solution to my very frustrating lag spikes on my XT8 mesh system. I've combed these forums for a couple of months and tried several things found here and elsewhere, as well as just experimenting.

TL;DR: I have lag spikes on my XT8 setup that make online gaming with my kids very frustrating. I've tried a lot of things, but would be grateful for any suggestions you can give.

Problem: Lag spikes every few minutes. In most cases, these are undetectable because they don't interfere with normal usage. They are very noticeable and unbearable when I am playing Fortnite with my children. Me on an Xbox One, them on two Nintendo Switch Lites in the same room as me. All are wireless (I know, wired is better...).Normal latency is around 40-50ms. My latency will spike to 300ms or higher, sometimes to 1000ms. These spikes almost always happen at the same moment on all 3 consoles.

I do not experience these spikes when I drag a long Cat5e cable across the house to the Xbox. The Switches cannot be wired without extra dongles. Even if I ran Cat5 to the Xbox, the Switch Lites cannot be reasonably wired, so I'm trying to solve this wirelessly. I have also run this same test by playing fortnite on a computer with wired vs wireless. I experience the lag spikes on wireless, but not wired.

Previously, I had the first Generation Orbi RBK53 kit. I do not remember any lag spikes like this, but I also did not play any online fast twitch games that would have made the problem obvious. It had fantastic bandwidth and coverage all over my house, but I ditched it after Netgear pushing out bad firmware a few times over the years and random device disconnects. After that, I had the Nest Wifi Router + 3 nodes. I returned it within 90 days, one of the reasons was because over those 90 days the bandwidth deteriorated to way less than the Orbi, the nodes showed "weak" connection even when mere feet away in direct line of sight, and I also started to play Fortnite with the kids and noticed lag spikes (though I did not measure them to the degree I'm troubleshooting with XT8). With the limited ability to troubleshoot these devices, I decided to go with my old trusty friend, Asus. I only mention my previous mesh networks as a consideration for environmental interference.

Setup: I started off with the XT8 router wired to my Arris modem (cable internet, 1g down, 50m up). House is a one story, about 2300 square feet. It's close enough to square shape, with the modem/router in my home office, roughly northwest corner of the house. This is the reason I've gone with mesh rather than I single good router. The garage with a few smart devices is in the direct opposite, southeast corner. The guest bedroom, which we use regularly, is at the front of the house with walls and a refrigerator dampening wifi.

The router is on the top shelf of a bookshelf with nothing else around it. The XT8 node is in the kitchen, about 40-50 feet away, 4.5 feet off the ground, with direct line of sight. The living room area is between the router and the node. This is where the Xbox and Switches are usually played.

I've tried troubleshooting so many things that my setup has changed in the past couple of months. I chased Bufferbloat as the issue for a while, so I have ended up with Modem > EdgeRouter 4 > TP-Link Smart Switch > XT8 Router. I also have a lot of clients, around 50.

I've been running a lot of PingPlotter tests where I can. I notice not a perfect overlap, but certainly an overlap, when running PingPlotter simultaneously on my Macbook in the office, a few feet from the XT8 Router, compared to a PC in a bedroom, connected to the XT8 node. I also hooked up an old RT-AC68U I have connected to it. I experienced some ping spikes, but less frequently and less severe than the XT8.

I've been running mostly on the 9/22 firmware. I am currently running the latest beta firmware (10/22?) with no improvement. The RT-AC68U I still have around for testing is in Merlin 384.19 (god I was disappointed when I bought the XT8 and realized Merlin isn't possible).

I've tried just about every solution to anything wireless related on these forums. At this point, I've lost track of what didn't help at all, or what has *seemed* to help a tiny bit, until it fell apart. I'd be grateful for any suggestions and can try them.

Example of latency today, tests run concurrently (didn't notice until after this that I accidentally ran the interval at 2.5 seconds on the windows machine). 10.0.0.1 is my EdgeRouter, so it goes client > [XT8 Node] XT8 Router > TP-Link Switch > EdgeRouter(10.0.0.1)

You'll see some of the overlapping ping spike events on both the Router and Node (I understand that some of the individual latency spikes could be for things like the client scanning for other wireless networks). There is a marked difference when connecting one of the PCs to the RT-AC68U.

Windows PC > XT8 Node 5GHz (through 3 walls/closets)
View attachment 27400

Macbook > XT8 Router (10 feet away, LOS)
View attachment 27401

Windows PC > XT8 Node 5GHz (walls, closets)
View attachment 27402

Macbook > RT-AC68U 5GHz (10 feet away LOS)
View attachment 27403

Thanks again for any help, sorry for such a long first post.

Ha ha! I was about to do the exact same thing when I read your post....

I mean send the XT8 duo back and get a single WiFi 6 router and place it centrally in the house.

I now think mesh systems are good for people who have very large homes and need connectivity with frequently roaming clients like cellphones and laptops.....BUT they do not care about gaming or intermittent disconnections (when clients hop from one mesh AP to another).

As for which router, I was thinking of a little cheaper model: Asus RT-AX3000 (a.k.a RT-AX58U)
But I am reaaaaaally afraid that since that router is an Asus, it will have the same Firmware/OS, and the same 2.4 GHz incompatibility issues many have experienced, with older clients. For example read this thread:

Interesting/relevant read starts from post #43 onwards

I tried anything I could imagine. Separating 2.4Hz and 5Hz, disabling AX, removing node connecting directly to one router, disabling 160Hz, disabling DFS and about 100 other options - lag spikes are there. But once my old AmplifyHD is connected, even though I may have slower connection, I don't have lag spikes which allows me to play just fine. So I figured why would I pay this amount of money AND loose a slip trying to. figure out how to make this mesh duo do what's it supposed to do out of the box. Today ZenWiFi AX is on the way back to Amazon. I pulled the trigger on ASUS RT-AX86U which according to my research doesn't have lag spikes (may have other issues though lol).

Also had to modify placement drilling some holes and positioning it in the middle of my home to avoid using more than one routers which is never a better thing.

So, looks like it works quite good for me now. I switched off the smart connect, so I have separated bands now and two networks (that I don't really like for some reason). Also I disabled roaming for stationary devices. And those lags disappeared. So my conclusion is that this SmartConnect not really smart(at least for now). I am going to test it a little bit more, hope I will not need to return it.

Then my issue was probably different than yours as I still had it even after disabling smart connect AND node with one router access.

In any case, ZenWiFi AX is back to Amazon and I'm now happy owner of RT-AX86U with second RT-AX86U added as node with LAN backhaul :)

I have the same problems since I updated to latest firmware. Hope a new one solves it.