What's new

Asus1750 RT-AC66U B1 Firmware 3.0.0.4.386.40558 issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

solid_choice

New Around Here
Hello I am new here, I have owned the router for just about two years now everything has been perfect until now. I have pinned down the issue to the firmware update 3.0.0.4.386.40558. The router was working perfectly until the update. The router looses internet connection to all devices wired and wireless. It seems to happen when connecting a new device to the wifi the whole system disconnects everything. It is extremely unstable, again never had this issue. I tried factory reseting with no luck. Also, hours on the phone with support left me even more frustrated saying I can buy a new one or send it in since it dropped from warranty only a few months ago..

Question is what can I do? Can I roll back the firmware to the previous one (3.0.0.4.385.20633)? It seems others are experiencing issues with the firmware 386 on other modles of Asus. I doubt the router is broken its too new, I'm 99% sure its the firmware. Please help.

Hello I am new here, I have owned the router for just about two years now everything has been perfect until now. I have pinned down the issue to the firmware update 3.0.0.4.386.40558. The router was working perfectly until the update. The router looses internet connection to all devices wired and wireless. It seems to happen when connecting a new device to the wifi the whole system disconnects everything. It is extremely unstable, again never had this issue. I tried factory reseting with no luck. Also, hours on the phone with support left me even more frustrated saying I can buy a new one or send it in since it dropped from warranty only a few months ago..

Question is what can I do? Can I roll back the firmware to the previous one (3.0.0.4.385.20633)? It seems others are experiencing issues with the firmware 386 on other modles of Asus. I doubt the router is broken its too new, I'm 99% sure its the firmware. Please help.

After you reset to factory defaults, did you restore a saved configuration or configure from scratch. If the former, then reset again and configure from scratch.

If the most recent firmware install did not go smoothly, you could flash it again, reset, and configure from scratch.

There is also more recent beta firmware (AC66U_B1 uses same firmware as AC68U). If you install it, you will have to manually install the released firmware later.

If the current firmware can not be made to work, I'd try the beta firmware next since it may work fine and will take you forward.

OE

Last edited:
I did a restore from scratch to answer your question. How would I reflash the firmware? I beleive the only way would be to do this manually as the system will tell me the hardware is up-to-date. Thanks again.

The router won't tell you anything. Download the firmware you want to flash (or, reflash) and upload it via the GUI.

Edit: I guess you meant 'checking for updates'. :) Don't use that to upgrade your firmware, ever.

Do you take your car to the shop and ask them what they should do to it? It's that bad. :)

No, remove any USB devices, reboot the router, flash the firmware again, hard factory reset (see: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074/) then reconfigure. I have an AC66U_B1 in a small office on Asus 386.40558 as an AiMesh root router with no isues.

I also have no issues with the latest firmware on my AC66U_B1 and I have always used "check for updates" method to update. Never had an issue. I guess I'm living right!

Had the same issues (as solid_choice) with version 3.0.0.4.386.40558 today with my RT-AC68U device. Not usable any more! Went back to 3.0.0.4.385.20633 and everything is fine again...

Hello I too am new here and have similar issues as solid_choice. I have owned the router for about two years and everything has been pretty good until now. I have pinned down the issue to the firmware update 3.0.0.4.386.40558. The router was working pretty good until the update.

But my router only looses connection to the internet. All devices wired and wireless still show as connected. It seems to happen randomly every few days, last night at 10pm, when 2 TVs were streaming AT&T TV and no new devices would have been adding. Rebooting the router in the ASUS app on smartphone resolves the problem.

I have worked in IT for 25 years (10 years in Electronics before that). I hard wire whenever possible for stability, so there are 4 switches connected to the router via Cat 6. I working towards a smart home and have numerous Fire sticks and Alexa devices. I have close to 100 devices configured in the ASUS router, so resetting and configuring from scratch is not a feasible option. If I need to do that, I would junk this router and choose a different replacement.

And if I can't use the "check for updates" and built-in methods to update, I will junk this router and find a alternate vendor. In this day and age if you can't use the automated methods to update, then that vendor doesn't belong in the market. Hell are you going to apply all Windows updates manually to PCs in a network with 100's of PCs?

I am about to try to revert to the previous version where I had no problems. One thing to note, I initially had problems logging into the router for a couple hours after this update. It seemed to accept my credentials but displayed a blank screen instead of the home screen, and would eventually time out and go back to the login screen.

Not sure what other suggestions there are then what has already been posted. Just logging the issue to let others know they may want to hesitate applying this update.

I have a RT-AC66U_B1 running as a root AiMesh router in a small office. Running the Asus 386_40558 firmware with no performance issues. OK, IPV6 is an issue but I've not figured out how to do a static IPV6 on Comcast Business. I do use a static IPV4 address for the router. Also have noticed the used RAM is creeping up but have not figured out why (I am making a visit to the office today and adding a thumbdrive with a swap file). Have been running this configuration since 06NOV20. Prior to that I used the router in my home with Merlin firmware.
May be that your ISP DHCP is not playing fair with your router. May I recommend you switch to Merlin 384.19 or John's Fork 46E8. Especially Merlin as he has added DHCP query frequency options which may help. Sorry but either will require a factory reset but the benefits may be worth it. Neither of those has auto update. The Asus stock should auto update with a new version which could be released any day now.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!