What's new

[Asustor] Asustor dropping Kodi support as of March 20th

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am using an Odroid C2 w/32GB eMMC for Kodi. I ran LibreElec for awhile, but now use Android 6. Only issue I have is x254H10 video.

Just the usual: people saying "someone should do it, but it won't be me".

Mate, you really know your sh*t! :eek:
And yeah, not enough people contribute...

I use Logitech M570 - as there is never enough space for a mouse.
And when I need to type, Logitech K400 which also has touchpad, bigger than your archaic model!!! :p
To unify the two together so you use one USB dongle, just connect to PC, install Unify s/w from Logitech and bind to the same receiver. Stick it in the box and done! Logitech makes like so easy! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my Flirc today. The old MCE USB dongle I was using was already working reasonably well, except in some Android applications. The Flirc should allow me to fully address these as well.

Was kinda surprised to see after a quick test that the Flirc plugged at the back of the Shield was still able to receive IR signals from the couch. Seems to be a pretty sensitive device, might save me from having to use a short USB extension.

Will be just a matter of customizing the Harmony and the Flirc build-in profiles to best match my preferences.

"on sale" (cheap) OMG Grey MCE remote w/ the long 3m cable w/ receiver?? You have one too? w/ a green MS button in the middle? I still have a Shuttle box (Core2Duo) but haven't bothered repairing or testing components after it overheated - had a flatmate close the sliding door on this 3m long TV unit, and it just cooked with no ventilation! So hot with everything else in there whirring away...

Never heard of Flirc, is it the dongle? "Control your computer with *any* remote". Will check it out and see if available here. Decent IR - that's great. I remember when I had fresh batteries for my Sony HiFi, I could be around the corner of the HiFi then down the hallway and in a bedroom - if I aimed the remote towards the doorway and pressed a key it would receive the signal!

I made the mistake of buying a Harmony remote at Aldi "on sale" (cheap). So crap and has such restricted list for compatibility. I guess I could give it another go, and even look at Flirc IR Dongles.

Really appreciate you sharing your knowledge @RMerlin. I read someone else talking about profiles. Will have to see where it is and what can be customised. Thanks

w/ a green MS button in the middle?

Yep, the Ortek VRC-1100. They're cheap, easy to find, has lots of buttons to remap on an Harmony, and are compatible with many devices as they mimic a USB keyboard, so they're very popular for HTPC setups.

Never heard of Flirc, is it the dongle?

Basically, it's a programmable USB IR dongle that mimics a USB keyboard, meaning it will work on any device that supports USB keyboards, and you can fully map any key to an IR code from your remote (similar to how you'd teach an Harmony a standard remote's IR codes). It comes with presets for Shield TV and for Kodi, and Logitech provides a Flirc Kodi profile as well, so you only need to tweak a few buttons at most when using an Harmony and a Flirc on a Shield TV.

I made the mistake of buying a Harmony remote at Aldi "on sale" (cheap). So crap and has such restricted list for compatibility. I guess I could give it another go, and even look at Flirc IR Dongles.

I only have a lowly Harmony 650 myself - I see no reason to buy one of their 200$ models, that are more gimmicky than anything. The 650 has lots of buttons, and you can add any less-used functions on the LCD if need be.

I know Raspberry Pi is popular for this, but I'm not sure I like the idea since use a Bluetooth keyboard as well as a Logitech Harmony paired with an old Windows Media Center IR receiver to control Kodi.)

If it stil matters: I use RPis for years now exclusively for all my TV (DVB-T tuners connected to RPI) and Video needs, I use exclusivelly Logitech Harmony remotes, and I connect with no problems BT keybaord to my RPis (2 and 3). All works perfectly. BT headset too. I use a diode costing probably 20 cents at RPi for a remote. All is run by LibreElec.

If it stil matters: I use RPis for years now exclusively for all my TV (DVB-T tuners connected to RPI) and Video needs, I use exclusivelly Logitech Harmony remotes, and I connect with no problems BT keybaord to my RPis (2 and 3). All works perfectly. BT headset too. I use a diode costing probably 20 cents at RPi for a remote. All is run by LibreElec.

I ended up settling for an nVidia Shield TV + FLIRC. Great setup so far.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!