What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin and Asus Router app

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cob

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

I just started using a router and IT is not really my field, so excuse me for any dumb question.

I recently bought a RT-AC86U, so I can have a VPN on my chromecast to access US catalog on streaming app.
This VPN is homemade by my brother-in-law living in the US with a Raspberry Pi at his home (I live in France).

So I need to be able to turn it on and off easily to use it only when necessary (sometimes i want the French catalog for exemple). With Asus Router App, I can quickly turn it on and off.

But I discovered that with a router you can do a lot more, like blocking ads for example. So I decided to instal Merlin firmware. But after that, the VPN was not available in the application anymore. You can still turn it on and off with the browser interface, but it is far less convenient.

Do you know a way to make the VPN available in the app after installation of Merlin Firmware, or do you know an other application that could do the trick ?

English is not my native language, sorry for any mistakes.

Thanks.

Cob

There may be other (and perhaps better) ways, but one way is to use an ssh client app and just issue the following commands.

Code:
service stop_vpnclient1
service start_vpnclient1

Of course, change the OpenVPN instance # as necessary.

In my experience, such apps usually allow you to preconfigure such commands for easy invocation.

Thanks for the quick answer. I am trying to understand.

So I enabled SSH on the router. Then I download Termius app (is another one better ?). But then I don't know what to do (I am a beginner in this field...)

Edit :
I managed to configure the access to the router and acceed to the page where you can writte commands. Then I found that on Termius you can add "Snippets" (saved commands that you can run with a single click) but you need to be premium.

I don't really want to have to type command each time I need to switch on and off the VPN.

Do you know a free SSH client app that can be configured like that ?

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick answer. I am trying to understand.

So I enabled SSH on the router. Then I download Termius app (is another one better ?). But then I don't know what to do (I am a beginner in this field...)

Every smartphone SSH app is a bit different. And I don't use that particular app. But they all allow you to create a server connection w/ the required username, password (or private key if using private/public keypairs), server IP, etc. Then there's usually some option to create a command, like the ones I described above, that can be associated w/ either that specific connection, or globally. Once connected to the SSH server, you should have an option to select one of those commands and it will be sent to the server.

FWIW, I just tried WebSSH (mostly because it didn't require me to create an account, although I'm limited to one connection w/o a purchase). I created the connection as described above, but also created a command using the tag icon at the top (to the left of the save icon), at least using iOS, not sure if Android would be the same. Now when I connect to the SSH server, the command is available from the menu on the right w/ that same tag icon.

Thanks for the answer.

WebSSH is not available for Android. I tried JuiceSSH and it is the same, you have to pay for the snippets.

I will check tomorrow if I find a free one that do the snippets thing.

On iOS I use the ‘Shelly - SSH Client’ app for similar purposes and I’m quite happy with it. The basic version is free, but the full version is merely $5 and it’s worth it, as it allows you to save your favorite connections and commands in the fashion described by Eibgrad. I would be cautious with apps that offer all the functionalities for free. Same story as with free VPNs, they have to make money somewhere and it had better be transparent.

Yes I have to agree. This why I liked the asus router app. Just a shame that the VPN is not available there anymore with Merlin firmware.

It’s a pity, but RMerlin has no control over this app and his implementation of OpenVPN is otherwise superior to Asus stock firmware.

I realize you’re on Android but my Asus Router app on iOS has this option which then allows me to login and go to the VPN page in Merlin’s firmware. Does your version have it?
821DCA14-750F-4658-B66C-5F7FD5762B27.jpeg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!