What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin - custom build of the Asus RT-N66U firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you know... The backslashes did the trick, it works! Many many thanks!

Hopefully this is useful information for somebody else too.

That's why I actually wrote it in the included README. :cool:

I might eventually look at why this is the case. We didn't have that problem with WDLXTV, which also uses Busybox.

Hey, I was wondering if you had any plans to integrate the cifs share options into the web interface?

Maybe, nothing definitive yet. Not a priority at this time.

Last edited:
That's why I actually wrote it in the included README. :cool:

Terribly sorry. I am always the one telling people to read my documentation :eek:

I might eventually look at why this is the case. We didn't have that problem with WDLXTV, which also uses Busybox.

I some cifs command on my Linux NAS which also uses busybox and it has no problem with either forward- or back- slashes. Maybe busybox version? 1.17.4 is quite away from the current 1.20.2.

Maybe check busybox mount compilation options, like

FEATURE_MOUNT_HELPERS
FEATURE_MOUNT_VERBOSE

(and FEATURE_MOUNT_NFS ;-) )

Yes, it is the user's problem when they lose a lot of time due to being distracted, perhaps make a typo, or are just not thinking at the wrong time. However, if there's a way to prevent that (like the "do you really want to delete that?" kind of thing), then given that software has lost a lot of the size and speed constraints that used to be the excuse for not helping the user be more productive, there's very little excuse for not doing it now.

On the other hand, I understand Merlin's argument that he's not in control of the software, he follows what Asus does. So this is really Asus's responsibility to take care of.
Thanks Roger. I agree that this isn't really in Merlin's domain. I was hoping that it might be just a simple fix for an existing mechanism that was broken (without having examined the web page source myself so it was just a guess). I simply mentioned it in case it was some low-hanging fruit that he could tweak for useability and I fully understand that it is not something he wants to take on.

As far as what extent we blame the issue on users rather than Asus' UI design, I think it is a very bad UI to show a nice table like that which is not yet committed with no indications whatsoever. The first time I did this I actually thought that the changes had been saved. I *did* click on a button to add the entry, after all, why wouldn't that have committed the changes in the first place? There should be a warning or a navigation guard whenever there are outstanding uncommitted changes, especially when the changes are fairly extensive like the IP assignment page, and doubly so when the user already hit a button to move the data from input fields into a formatted table. These lost input guards are standard practice on well designed web UIs and I'm pretty sure most other routers I've used did the commit when you click on the first button - once it is in the table, it isn't really "uncommitted changes" any more. If the actual commit requires restarting some daemons which takes some time, then that is an issue to deal with in terms of making a responsive GUI, but leaving a formatted table full of uncommitted data is not a very responsible tactic.

I'm locking this mammoth of a thread. Please start new threads if you still had any ongoing conversation going on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.