What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin on RT-N18U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ooh! Cryptic....shall wait for a response from RMerlin. RMerlin, please remember that this is not pressure just me looking to move away from the stock firmware. If you come back and say no still then I'll be off to Shibby....just going to delay another week....just in case ;)

Right now, I don't have any plan for supporting the RT-N18U. Already got too many routers to support, so I'd rather focus on the higher-end ones. Plus, this router isn't even available here in North America.

Right now, I don't have any plan for supporting the RT-N18U. Already got too many routers to support, so I'd rather focus on the higher-end ones. Plus, this router isn't even available here in North America.

Tomato time. Thank you anyway. Your answers have all been good and understandable.

Hi, to everybody!
Please help me. I've followed many guires for use WIRELESS CLIENT, or REPEATER CLIENT with last DD-WRT and Tomato. From an AP without tomato or mods and my new RT-N18U used as wireless client, and I can do that if security is set to Open or WEP. When I change wireless security to Wpa or Wpa2 tkip or aes or any mix from those I can't establish connections. From the page thath show the clients connected to the AP I can verify that the Mac address of the client rt-n18u appears for 3 second then disappear and in loop appears again after 3 second and then disappear....
The stock Asus firmware or Merlin mods can connect in repeater mode to my AP with wpa2 aes wireless security key.
Any suggestion? Thanks

Hi RMerlin,

Any chance to change your mind about supporting RT-N18U?
It would be really fantastic.

Hey.
I understand the reasons why you do not want to support the RT-N18u, however is there a small chance to write a small guide how to actually assemble own merlin fw for this router?

I saw you wrote it is possible, but some of us are missing your knowledge and experience.

Hey.
I understand the reasons why you do not want to support the RT-N18u, however is there a small chance to write a small guide how to actually assemble own merlin fw for this router?

I saw you wrote it is possible, but some of us are missing your knowledge and experience.

It requires a lot of work. You'd need to replace a bunch of files that you'd have to extract from the RT-N18 GPL, and overwrite their dual-core versions in the repo. The work involved in researching and testing this is part of why I won't do it. It's not as simple as "copy these two or three files, then compile and it will work". I won't know what it specifically takes until I go through the trouble of doing it myself, track down every single binary blob that needs to be replaced, and try it on.

Thanks for the update.

You said as well that this router is not available in NA.

But when we would buy it and send it over to you? What do you say :)

Thanks for the update.

You said as well that this router is not available in NA.

But when we would buy it and send it over to you? What do you say :)

Not legal, as it requires FCC and Industry Canada validation.

In IT industry we have to bind the rules, otherwise everything will be paid :)

That's probably one of the dumbest things I've heard.
The law is the law and there are rules for a reason. You want to break them, that's your own business but you can't ask others to.

That's probably one of the dumbest things I've heard.
The law is the law and there are rules for a reason. You want to break them, that's your own business but you can't ask others to.
It is up to you what you think, but just look around what is the main business of the big companies and corporations.
Do you really think they mostly build their software just like this?
Still waiting what the open source will bring to them.

If I can ask? I already did, so basically I can. however it was definitely meant like fun, that's why there is the smiley.

well, You can definitely compile you're self as other told. I already done and now experimenting with (hope last binary there to match) tuxera binaries.
Have to put a right tarket.mak, fiddle with release/src/router/emf bin, /src/router/tuxera, and release/src/router/wl_arm/ wl_apsta.o. and wonders happens.