What's new

Asuswrt - Merlin: Push hostnames to openvpn clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Blazemonkey

Occasional Visitor
I've got the OpenVPN server up and running on my AC-RT56U, it works great, but I cannot access any of the machines behind the router via their hostnames. To make things easy, I created a host table in the "/jffs/configs/hosts.add" file, and that works when I'm behind the router at home, but not when I'm away and connected via openvpn.

What do I need to do to access the hosts via the hostnames I've assigned when I'm connected through openvpn?

Thanks

I finally solved it. Turns out I had to add use the "dhcp-option DOMAIN" option to specify my search domain. I should've updated this thread but I've been on the road quite a bit lately. :)

Can you further explain how and where shall I add that option?

You can add the line in the custom configuration field under the VPN Details tab.

Here's what I got for my custom config:
Code:
push "dhcp-option DOMAIN blazenet"
push "dhcp-option DNS 192.168.42.1"

enabling the wins server/master browser under usb app > server center > smb will probably do the trick

also you should be sure to add the lan ip of the router for WINS in the lan>dhcp area

Hi Guys

I've setup my OpenVPN on my RT-N66U it connects fine but I then can't RDP to my main office pc, RDP is enabled and allowed and I have followed the instructions here :(

Anything I might have missed?

Many thanks

Mart

No one able to shed any light guys?

I am unable to ping the machine I want to RDP to, however I ca ping and map share to the NAS unit on the network

Thanks

Similar issue I have a AC66U as the OpenVPN server and an AC68U as the client both on Merlin. Client can ping through to the server network, but not vice versa. What do I do?