What's new

ASUSWRT + OpenVPN + Android client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Milster

New Around Here
Hi all
Getting to know my rew router (DSL-AC3100) but having a problem with the VPN service. I've setup the OpenVPN service on the router and selected TAP as an option. The exported config.opvn files works perfectly on a Windows client running OpenVPN. But when I try to create a connection on Android it expects to use a certificate file. I could only see a way to export a .opvn file for my setup needs. How can I install the certificate Android OpenVPN wants to use? I can see there is lots of certificate info contained in text form in my OpenVPN advanced settings - am I meant to use that data somehow?
Would really appreciate some help on this.
Thank you!
Milster

Hi all
Getting to know my rew router (DSL-AC3100) but having a problem with the VPN service. I've setup the OpenVPN service on the router and selected TAP as an option. The exported config.opvn files works perfectly on a Windows client running OpenVPN. But when I try to create a connection on Android it expects to use a certificate file. I could only see a way to export a .opvn file for my setup needs. How can I install the certificate Android OpenVPN wants to use? I can see there is lots of certificate info contained in text form in my OpenVPN advanced settings - am I meant to use that data somehow?
Would really appreciate some help on this.
Thank you!
Milster
I have not used TAP. I put these instructions together using TUN

https://x3mtek.com/openvpn-server-setup-instructions-for-asuswrt-merlin/

Scroll down to the Android section. Perhaps you will see something that may help.

Hi there! Thanks for your advice - I'll take a look.
I just found this log entry in my Droid OpenVPN client...
14:17:36.022 -- EVENT: TAP_NOT_SUPPORTED info='OSI layer 2 tunnels are not currently supported'
I suppose that is my answer. Although I used to make TAP connections on my old Netgear router.
Here's the really dumb add-on question. I had successfully built a TUN connection, but when I connected successfully (this is on a Windows client now) I couldn't connect to my network resources. I'm afraid I get very confused by my network sitting on 192.168.1.1 and VPN putting me on 10.0.0.10. I couldn't understand the proccess for connecting to a NAS for eg. which is 192.168.1.9. No ping - zilch.
Can you point me towards something that will help me better understand this please.
Cheers
Milster