What's new

AUG 2013 - ASUS RT-N56U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.374.130

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tarund

Occasional Visitor
Fixed:

1. Fixed AiCloud vulnerability related bugs.
2. Underline "_" can now be acceptable in device name and computer name.
3. Hide Broadcast option in PPTP VPN server when it is disabled.
4. Fixed multicast IPTV related issues in PPPoE/PPTP/L2TP connection.
5. Fixed IE related parental control issues.
6. Fixed 3G dongle related issue.
7. Hide ASUS DDNS description when selecting 3rd party service.
8. Fixed script error 'invalid argument on IE'
9. Fixed smart sync JS error
10. Fixed JST time zone issue.
11. Reduced the redundant packets when used 3G/4G dongle as WAN and opened web browser.
12. Fixed the traffic monitor related issues when used 3G/4G dongle as WAN,
13. Fixed client duplicated issue in network map
14. removed modem setting button in AP mode
15. 2.4Ghz compatibility issue for some specific devices

Added:
1. Auto adjust time zone in internet setup wizard process.
2. PPTP VPN server status GUI
3. Recognized .rmvb files as video format in media server.
4. Show more detail information in USB application install process.
5. Unmount all disks with 1-click

IPv6
1. Fixed PPP IPv6 global address retrieval
2. added DHCP-PD option
3. Added LAN DHCPv6 server
4. Added network status GUI.
5. Added option domain name if available

3G/4G dongles
1. Support Yota LTE dongle LU150
2. Support ZTE LTE dongle MF821
3. Support 3G dongle Q110
4. Support Huawei EC306

File Size 7,8 (MBytes) 2013.08.02 update

Any feedback from the users would be helpful to others.

Any feedback from the users would be helpful to others.

Primarily using Padavan I now have flashed back to Asus 3.0.0.4.374.130 - no problems until now, seems to be a stable build without flaws. Until now I didn't yet have the opportunity to check transfer speed - but they seem to be quite fine on both bands.

Ciao
Gerald

Primarily using Padavan I now have flashed back to Asus 3.0.0.4.374.130 - no problems until now, seems to be a stable build without flaws. Until now I didn't yet have the opportunity to check transfer speed - but they seem to be quite fine on both bands.

Ciao
Gerald

Thanks, Gerald. When I upgraded from a previous build, I got nothing but disconnects and multiple 'qring' errors. I ended up doing a 'Firmware Restoration' using the Restore utility and so far everything seems to be stable without changing too many settings. Now it's just a matter of time and see how it all plays out over the next 72 hours.

Here's the post that I made in another thread here (the one about .360 release, someone started talking about .374_130 there) about this firmware release and the testing that I did:

Okay, just tested the new .374_130, and was very disappointed with wireless performance. My Roku in the living room only showed 2 bars for the 2.4GHz. band, and the 5GHz. band didn't make it at even 1 bar. Network Analyzer app on my Android phone confirmed these results.

So I went back to version .342 of the Asus firmware, and 2.4GHz. has 4 bars on the Roku in my living room! The 5GHz. band is listed (only 1 bar, though, used to be 2 bars a while ago, but neither 1 or 2 bars is very useful).

This makes me wonder what's going on? I cleared the nvram when I upgraded to .374_130 (since I last had Padavan's latest firmware on it), and got poor wireless performance. Made NO changes in settings when I downgraded to .342, but got much better wireless performance.

The bottom line is that I'm leaving .342 on this router, be a fool not to...As I said, I'm very disappointed with the wireless performance of .374_130! Maybe others will have better results, but I'm still hoping for better wireless performance in a new Asus firmware release, or at least as good as .342.

Have you tried to enable IGMP Snooping and pick HTMIX 130/144 for Multicast Rate? I've seen on Apple forums that usually has resolved the issue.
I can also verify IGMP Snooping has to be enabled for Airplay and WiFi iTunes syncing to work.

On a side note, does enabling IPv6 disable HW acceleration on the RT-N56U also?

I can also verify IGMP Snooping has to be enabled for Airplay and WiFi iTunes syncing to work.

On a side note, does enabling IPv6 disable HW acceleration on the RT-N56U also?

That I don't know but my guess would be no considering the amount of power needed to power both 2.4 and 5GHz radios.

Here's the post that I made in another thread here (the one about .360 release, someone started talking about .374_130 there) about this firmware release and the testing that I did:

Okay, just tested the new .374_130, and was very disappointed with wireless performance. My Roku in the living room only showed 2 bars for the 2.4GHz. band, and the 5GHz. band didn't make it at even 1 bar. Network Analyzer app on my Android phone confirmed these results.

So I went back to version .342 of the Asus firmware, and 2.4GHz. has 4 bars on the Roku in my living room! The 5GHz. band is listed (only 1 bar, though, used to be 2 bars a while ago, but neither 1 or 2 bars is very useful).

This makes me wonder what's going on? I cleared the nvram when I upgraded to .374_130 (since I last had Padavan's latest firmware on it), and got poor wireless performance. Made NO changes in settings when I downgraded to .342, but got much better wireless performance.

The bottom line is that I'm leaving .342 on this router, be a fool not to...As I said, I'm very disappointed with the wireless performance of .374_130! Maybe others will have better results, but I'm still hoping for better wireless performance in a new Asus firmware release, or at least as good as .342.

I think you are right, the wifi signal seems to be worse with .374_130 than the previous firmwares =/

i posted regarding this on other thread but as this is .374 thread so let me post it again

just now, i playing abit with router setting
then just for fun click "check new firmware" and it updating itself
new firmware : 3.0.0.4.374_239-g4cbbc2a

before update is : 3.0.0.4.374_130-gc778cfa
it still .374.... so imo its really minor update, not sure what changes
will post update if i find something

people that still using .374 and having issue with wifi performance should try this minor update

also not sure if there are any effect or not, but people that using .374 and have wifi issue should try disabling WMM APSD

i posted regarding this on other thread but as this is .374 thread so let me post it again

just now, i playing abit with router setting
then just for fun click "check new firmware" and it updating itself
new firmware : 3.0.0.4.374_239-g4cbbc2a

before update is : 3.0.0.4.374_130-gc778cfa
it still .374.... so imo its really minor update, not sure what changes
will post update if i find something

people that still using .374 and having issue with wifi performance should try this minor update

also not sure if there are any effect or not, but people that using .374 and have wifi issue should try disabling WMM APSD

You are right, there is a new update! I just tried it but it still seems like the signal is weaker than with the previous firmwares :/

Due to the poor wireless signal strength in the latest firmware I would like to flash back the old firmware, however I can't any mirror of the firmware package.

Many website stored the original asus link which asus has removed the file from its server, anyone got a mirror for a stable old firmware? Thanks.

Asus has posted another .374 firmware update on 20Aug....

Due to the poor wireless signal strength in the latest firmware I would like to flash back the old firmware, however I can't any mirror of the firmware package.

Many website stored the original asus link which asus has removed the file from its server, anyone got a mirror for a stable old firmware? Thanks.

Asus has posted another .374 firmware update on 20Aug....

I think that this previous post might help:

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=76671&postcount=38

But I'm not at home to test the download. Try the URL's in that post and see if they work for you, they should.

I think that this previous post might help:

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=76671&postcount=38

But I'm not at home to test the download. Try the URL's in that post and see if they work for you, they should.

It worked, thanks!

The 2.4G signal is much better in old firmware, the new one created a dead spot in my room, while the old one has no dead spot!

However the 5Gz signal seems to be weaker, thought I not use 5Gz much due to its short distance...

Last edited:
The latest version of this firmware seems to be released by ASUS on 12Aug, check out the release info - File Size 7,8 (MBytes) 2013.08.12 update, compared to the OP's first post which says File Size 7,8 (MBytes) 2013.08.02 update . I dunno whether there's a difference but I'll try out the 12Aug update and see how it goes. Hopefully there'll be no decrease in signal strength compared to my current firmware 3.00.4.342 :rolleyes:

The latest version of this firmware seems to be released by ASUS on 12Aug, check out the release info - File Size 7,8 (MBytes) 2013.08.12 update, compared to the OP's first post which says File Size 7,8 (MBytes) 2013.08.02 update . I dunno whether there's a difference but I'll try out the 12Aug update and see how it goes. Hopefully there'll be no decrease in signal strength compared to my current firmware 3.00.4.342 :rolleyes:

I just tried the latest firmware on the Asus website and I lose signal strength still. With .342 inSSIDer shows -50 whereas the latest firmware it is closer to -60. Also with .342 I get a full 4 bars of signal to my Xbox 360 and with the latest firmware only get 3. Not a HUGE difference, but enough to justify me flashing back to .342 and sticking with that for now!

Had just upgraded mine to the latest version 3.0.0.4.374_239 and it was crap, rolled back to the suggested version, much faster.

What is the best version for this router so far?

I just tried the latest firmware on the Asus website and I lose signal strength still. With .342 inSSIDer shows -50 whereas the latest firmware it is closer to -60. Also with .342 I get a full 4 bars of signal to my Xbox 360 and with the latest firmware only get 3. Not a HUGE difference, but enough to justify me flashing back to .342 and sticking with that for now!

The only reason for me to upgrade to the 3.0.0.4.374.239 firmware was due to firmware .342 being exploitable, but the signal strength was unacceptably weak, >70dbm consistently compared to .342. I guess I have no choice to flash back to .342 and suggest the rest of us do the same, but take the appropriate precautions listed here

Has someone tested the new asus version 3.0.0.4.374.979 from 2013/10/11?

VPN seems to have DNS issue on this version :(
  1. Cannot leave client's [DNS servers] blank / no auto DNS
  2. Cannot access router as DNS server, even if I input router's address
  3. Cannot resolve any hostname under router's local network, because of [2.]
Can someone confirm this?