What's new

Avoiding turning my AC68U into a brick with 3X size upgrade?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mightyoakbob

Regular Contributor
I've been updating my AC68U (H/W version: A) with Asuswrt-Merlin for some years all fine so far. I've been particularly keeping an eye on upgrades since the press gave me the Asus routers being targeted story, true or not.

I'm currently using 386.4 and can see we 386.5 and 386.5.2 but both of these are 3x bigger then 386.4.

If my router gets bricked I'm completely stuffed to be honest hence my nervous caution.

Some questions which I'm sure are dumb to you guys but I'm not at all sure of the answers.

1. Will my old router take a file that huge?

2. If so, I should go direct to 386.5.2?

3. If the upgrade fails any recommended recovery method or preperations I should make?

Thanks guys.

Bob.

386.5 (2-March-2022)
- NEW: Added support for the RT-AC68U V4. All
RT-AC68U models are using a combined
firmware file (like stock firmware),
with both firmwares within the samae file.

I went from:
384.17 -> RT-AC68U_386.5_1-g8858f16344
and again:
RT-AC68U_386.5_1-g8858f16344 -> RT-AC68U_386.5_2
No problems. 2 typical things to consider:
1. Unmount USB devices
2. Flash -> use the AP (do not reboot when asked) -> Reboot(via GUI) after 5m

For recovery, have an older firmware (original smaller size) handy and download the Asus rescue tool.

386.5 (2-March-2022)
- NEW: Added support for the RT-AC68U V4. All
RT-AC68U models are using a combined
firmware file (like stock firmware),
with both firmwares within the samae file.

I went from:
384.17 -> RT-AC68U_386.5_1-g8858f16344
and again:
RT-AC68U_386.5_1-g8858f16344 -> RT-AC68U_386.5_2
No problems. 2 typical things to consider:
1. Unmount USB devices
2. Flash -> use the AP (do not reboot when asked) -> Reboot(via GUI) after 5m

For recovery, have an older firmware (original smaller size) handy and download the Asus rescue tool.
That's very helpful thanks.
I'll wait until shops are open tomorrow just in case I need a new router :)
Thanks again.
Bob.

My AC68U is running smoothly with 386.5_2.

Adding to what @itpp20 mentioned I suggest to do a full reset before and after flashing, and re-enter your settings by hand.

Gosh, that's a lot of work. I'll start doing some screen shots in case it comes to that.
Thanks.
Bob.
No need to do a factory reset unless you hit problems which is unlikely. Just have a backup of your current firmware image in case you need to go back to it. You'll also need a matching backup of your current settings and jffs partition (Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting).

In a worst case scenario you'd just factory reset the router and reinstall your old firmware version (boot into rescue mode if necessary). Then restore your old settings and jffs to get back to where you were before.

No need to do a factory reset unless you hit problems which is unlikely. Just have a backup of your current firmware image in case you need to go back to it. You'll also need a matching backup of your current settings and jffs partition (Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting).

In a worst case scenario you'd just factory reset the router and reinstall your old firmware version (boot into rescue mode if necessary). Then restore your old settings and jffs to get back to where you were before.
Thanks Colin.
Most reassuring and boy did I need that.

Bob.

Upgrade to 386.5.2 seems to have gone fine. Not noticed any issues yet.
Does the router install the whole 3x file now or does it sort through and pick the bit(s) it needs?

Thanks
Bob.

No. The firmware file contains separate images and it just installs the one it needs.
Ah, that makes sense. I noticed a longer pause before the percentage bar started than before which I presume was where it was finding the correct file.

Thanks for all your help Colin.

Bob.