What's new

AX-6000 VPN (Wireguard & OpenVPN) DDNS issue - please test/check

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

john385

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone!

I’m having issues with VPN (tested both with Wirguard & OpenVPN). There seems to be an issue with DDNS not properly updating the WAN IP (I’m on a cable connection with IP changing every 3 days - no CGNAT, ISPs modem in bridge mode).

What this means is that I can connect to the router via iOS - only when I connect immediately after the setup of the VPN config.
As soon as WAN IP changes, I can’t connect anymore - even though the router says that DDNS is properly updated, etc.

Also, is Let’s Encrypt SSL certificate the possible culprit here? ie. do I need it if I use DDNS just for VPN function?

Any help is appreciated.

Asus DDNS issue is known and has been reported to Asus. Router reboot or applying the DDNS settings registers the settings. Let's Encrypt use has no bearing on the DDNS refresh and no you do not need it.
You are lucky to have a three day refresh. Mine can change every seven minutes!

…but this is then a relatively new occurance, ie. in the last update or two?
Because OpenVPN worked flawlessly until a month-ish ago (after one of the latest firmware updates). :/

@john385
I'm also on a cable connection with both OVPN/WG without issue.
I have never used Asus ddns.
I've been using "noip.com", which is easily setup on the router.
Edit: also using Let's Encrypt.
Only began using OVPN/WG/Let's Encrypt during the testing phases of this latest release.

Last edited:
RMerlin's Latest FW Release on both Main/AP (see sig).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!