What's new

AX router for property with two living quarters

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maxbraketorque

Very Senior Member
I'm heading to my in-laws in a few weeks, and I'd like to set them up with a new wifi router. The property has two living quarters perhaps 50 ft apart, and the houses are made of stone/brick. Their wifi needs are pretty simple - just need bandwidth for web, email, movies. Nothing much beyond that. I was contemplating trying to make an AX86U work, but those are totally unavailable right now. Any suggestions for a Merlin-ready AX router or router combo used either in mesh or main/AP mode that is relatively affordable?

I put an AC3100 in my brothers house which also serves our folks place, next door. There are stucco walls for both houses (wire mesh in the outside walls with a cement-like material) and the unit works fine for both of them. Not sure of the max distance, but less than 50 ft. The AC3100 has a reputation for range so that may help.

I put an AC3100 in my brothers house which also serves our folks place, next door. There are stucco walls for both houses (wire mesh in the outside walls with a cement-like material) and the unit works fine for both of them. Not sure of the max distance, but less than 50 ft. The AC3100 has a reputation for range so that may help.

Thanks, but I used to have an AC3100 in my own home, and in head to head tests with an AC86U, the AC86U easily won the range category, both on N and AC.

Reactions: Gar
Thanks. Those were the posts I was trying to remember. 2x RT-AX86Us ordered. :)

Those ought to do it! And I think you've redefined 'relatively affordable'. :)

Tip: Use the router hard switch and the node soft switch to turn OFF the LEDs... they are super bright and annoyingly so in a dark room. The dark router is very unassuming and will fit in much better with those who could care less, imo... out of sight, out of mind so to speak. Being a so-called power user, I normally leave the LEDs on, but not these!

OE

I keep making mistakes with this thread. I ordered two RT-AX68Us. :)

I keep making mistakes with this thread. I ordered two RT-AX68Us. :)
That's an understandable mistake. ;)

The AX68U is a lower tier model. It's not a bad value for a Wifi 6 router but I question whether two AX68Us set up with AiMesh will be necessarily better in coverage and overall performance than one AX86U. At the time of this post B&H Photo and Video has the AX86U for the standard retail price of $279 USD.

Let's see if I can clarify all my mistakes - I intentionally purchased the AX68Us. L&LD sold me on the AX68U when he said it easily outranged an AC86U which is an impressive feat.

After running main/AP systems at two locations for nearly two years, I'm totally sold on multiple access points for challenging wifi environments. I think dual AX68Us are a good choice for my inlaws because of the extensive use of brick and metal structures on their property. I think a single AX86U (if there were any to purchase) wouldn't do as good of a job.

Now for my own house, I will eventually (within a year) replace my dual AC86Us with dual AX86Us. I probably would do just fine with AX68Us, but I don't mind spluring a bit on myself.

Certainly try them out and see how it works. I can't speak for the AX68U because it's relatively new so it doesn't have much of a track record. I don't own one and I haven't read many reviews on it. You can only hope that they are reliable in the long term. Not all of the newer Asus routers have turned out to be stable. I know for a fact that the AX86U is the most stable and reliable router I have ever owned. For that peace of mind alone it's worth the extra cost in my book.

Finally had a chance to install the AX68U. Turns out that a dual router setup was not needed. The AX68U wireless range kicks butt over the RT-N18U that it replaces, thus negating the need for a mesh node. I left it in automatic smart connect mode with wireless channels manually set, and all is great with range and auto-band selection.

Finally had a chance to install the AX68U. Turns out that a dual router setup was not needed. The AX68U wireless range kicks butt over the RT-N18U that it replaces, thus negating the need for a mesh node. I left it in automatic smart connect mode with wireless channels manually set, and all is great with range and auto-band selection.
...and the AX86U Wifi range would have been as good or better.