What's new

AX routers are coming but they come with Gigabit ethernet......

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

how come the adaption of faster ehernet is so slow?
Two reasons, both driven by cost:
1) For LAN side: Many buyers never use the Ethernet ports; all their devices are Wi-Fi.
2) For WAN side: Not enough buyers have Gigabit+ service.

You will see Multi-Gig *=(1/2/5 Gbps) ports before you see 10G (like in NETGEAR RAX120).

If you want higher than 1G, buy a switch.

True multi gig becoming affordable say Asus and Netgear have two port 10gig switch both are around 200 dollars and even PCI express nic from Asus is at 99 $

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

I thought the AX routers are already expensive but looking at the ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 I am sure they can further increase the price

Two reasons, both driven by cost:
1) For LAN side: Many buyers never use the Ethernet ports; all their devices are Wi-Fi.
2) For WAN side: Not enough buyers have Gigabit+ service.

You will see Multi-Gig *=(1/2/5 Gbps) ports before you see 10G (like in NETGEAR RAX120).

If you want higher than 1G, buy a switch.

I think casual user won't upgrade WIFI at all, and AX is meaningless without faster NAS to talk to. Plus phone won't have full antenna array I suppose so they won't go to the max, oh wait so it means phone only user won't need 10GE lol

Last edited:
True multi gig becoming affordable say Asus and Netgear have two port 10gig switch both are around 200 dollars and even PCI express nic from Asus is at 99 $

too bad business laptop stayed with gigabit for so long.

I thought the AX routers are already expensive but looking at the ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 I am sure they can further increase the price

Oh, they can. Wait until Asus reveals the next one sometime in early 2019... Having seen the specs, I believe it will break all records :(

I think casual user won't upgrade WIFI at all, and AX is meaningless without faster NAS to talk to.

Keep in mind that AX's greatest improvement is in capacity, not throughput. Having multiple clients without slowing down one another as much as they did with 802.11ac.

There's no reason to except for commercial settings.

Most people are lucky to have DSL anyway much less gigabit fiber. We are just getting fiber service next year here actually but not gigabit yet.

Most WiFi devices don't have more than a 2X2 antenna either. The laptop I'm typing on now has an Intel 8265 chipset and I am thrilled to get 70MB/s file transfer now with my UAP-AC-HD.

Most people don't have multi-gigabit servers in their house either. I have lots of networking stuff and servers plus cameras but I see no need for 10Gbe yet in my house.

I can't even justify it at work honestly and we are a software development house so when we replaced switches last month we just went with 1Gbe switches.

The 10gbe or multi gig not for internet. It's purely faster transfer from network storage to pc. It only possible as nowadays nvme SSD/m.2 is capable of 800MB/S upto. 3.5gbps.

So only a network with such high capacity can do 1gbps.

Only require for 4k footage live editing.

Not sure if any other including a database capable of delivering 1gb request at the same time yet.