What's new

AX11000 2.5 wan port speed issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've had the same issue as the OP on the AX11000 w/386.5_2 firmware and have not been able to find a solution to this. This issue is persistent irrespective of the firmware.

- 10G port from modem connected to 2.5G port on router with Cat7 cable.
- Speed test on Adaptive QoS tab shows 1.3G to 1.5G download and 550 to 600 Mbps upload (modem has its own speed test and test results are as advertised - 1.5Gbs download and 1Gbs upload)
- Oddly enough, after factory reset, with the speed test on the router I do get the expected throughput, but after configuring the router the upload speed is nearly halved. Not sure if it is some configuration or one of the scripts running (Diversion/Skynet etc) impacting the upload.

The intel Q6600 was my first quad core cpu. I ran it for many years. It was a good cpu. Only problem was the heat.
The heat is part of the reason for wanting to upgrade the platform. The other reasons are efficiency, performance, and feature set. In all with a Ryzen 5500G/5600G APU, I can conserve power at better efficiency, and Ryzen has a TDP power configuration that can be configured from 45W-65W, with the 45W being ideal for this custom firewall router I have. Being how I am using it and with a managed switch doing most of the work with wired devices, it may rarely even it that maximum level. The Q6600 has done what was needed and now is long in the tooth and the oldest equipment I have.

Last edited:
I understand with the new CPUs the idle state works much better for a lower wattage draw. It is well worth an upgrade.

I still have an Intel 550 PII around. It was my old Smoothwall firewall. I have not used in many years, but I saw up in my old hardware gear.

This looked like a nice upgrade to me to run Untangle on. It will need a 2 port Intel NIC which I already have.
Dell Precision 3420 SFF - No OS | Dell Refurbished

Last edited:
@PureSpeed and all,

Same problem here. And even more interesting.

Same problem with the RAX200 and the GT-AX11000 when using it as AP. Wired and Wifi Speeds upload throughput are capped to 500 Mbps. I used the latest firmware RAX200 and the latest Merlin firmware on the GT-AX11000 when using the 2.5 Gbps. If I move the cable to a 1 Gbps then the upload speeds go to 900 Mbps. Very strange!

I was able to fix a portion on the RAX200 unfortunately I returned the GT-AX11000. The "fix" was only for the Wired speed.

RAX200:
1.- Reset router
2.- Configure as Router
3.-Select the 2.5 Gbps port as the WAN port
4.- Config all your wireless network
5.- Save config.
6.- Power cycle the router
7.- Change the RAX200 Mode to AP - do not change anything else.
8.- Save config.

Then my upload wired connections top the 900 Mbps with no problem. If I switch to WiFi then my upload speed goes down to 500 Mbps.
If I stop using the 2.5gbps and move the uplink one of the 1 gbps port on the RAX 200 then WiFi speed goes to 900Mbps

My computer is next to the RAX200 and using netsh wlan show interface it reports that the signal is 99%. and 2402 for Receive and Transmit rate.
Using inSSIDer I get - 27dbm signal with a 94% Score quality.

So an update on my original post. I have removed my Asus GT-AX11000 as my primary router it just would not do 2 gig speeds wired right from my ONT to that router. So I put a new
ROG GT-AX6000 in front of it and bingo getting full speed 2300 up 2190 down I put a switch to the 2.5 lan port of the GT-AX6000 and plugged the GT-AX11000 2.5 port to the switch and speed is now almost full 2 gig on the 11000 in AP mode. Something is majorly up I’m assuming it’s not negotiating correctly being connected from the ont to the AX11000 and forcing a managed switch to 2.5 speed seems to solve it. I must say though the ROG GT-AX6000 is a beast of a router. Even Asus couldn’t figure out the AX11000 issue but at least in AP mode with a switch it’s 100 times better.

So an update on my original post. I have removed my Asus GT-AX11000 as my primary router it just would not do 2 gig speeds wired right from my ONT to that router. So I put a new
ROG GT-AX6000 in front of it and bingo getting full speed 2300 up 2190 down I put a switch to the 2.5 lan port of the GT-AX6000 and plugged the GT-AX11000 2.5 port to the switch and speed is now almost full 2 gig on the 11000 in AP mode. Something is majorly up I’m assuming it’s not negotiating correctly being connected from the ont to the AX11000 and forcing a managed switch to 2.5 speed seems to solve it. I must say though the ROG GT-AX6000 is a beast of a router. Even Asus couldn’t figure out the AX11000 issue but at least in AP mode with a switch it’s 100 times better.
Glad you figured out some work around. I couldn't even tell you what is going on with the GT-AX11000 as I even have that model and using its single 2.5G port plugged in to the 2.5G port I have on my custom Opnsense router, and it works at full speed in AP mode. It may be more to do with the modem connection maybe.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!