What's new

AX11000 and an AC5300 AiMesh issues + Dual WAN question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Starlocket

New Around Here
Our house is 3 stories ( basement) and we upgraded recently to an AX11000 series from our current GT AC5300 router. 5300 worked fine just noticed a decent increase with the AX11000.

Here's the situation:

Basement and 2nd floor are the only areas that have 1 room that contains multiple outlets ( game room x2 outlets near eachother) and basement which has an entertainment closet that has 3 outlets) All Cat5e
1st floor has the network panel ( all converging outlets ) + Coax for Modem ( we have gigabit) at the end of the house (Opposite side of where the network panel is). What I've done is:
  1. Put 2x TP link 1g switches in the panel to encompass all connections
  2. Put the modem in with the switches
  3. Labeled each cable based on the room it goes to using a network finder tool.
  4. Connected the AX11000 series to the game room 1 (WAN) 2(LAN)
  5. Ran the incoming cable in the network panel from outlet 1 in the game room(wan) to the cable modem
  6. Ran the incoming cable in the network panel from outlet 2 (LAN) in the game rom to the switches.

I Later installed the 5300 down in the basement and set it to AI Mesh ( but backbone to wired ) This worked great for a bit giving the basement good coverage but every day internet would just drop out till I turned off the 5300, I didn't look at the logs at the time but haven't set it back up since but I did factory reset both prior to setting it up based on what I've read here. My question to people here is are these 2 good together, and based on the information above, is there a better way to set this up ?

Additionally from that we're looking to have a 2ndary ISP setup as a backup since we work from home and our current provider tends to go out for most of the evening nightly, and has been doing so for some time, due to "maintenance"

Would Dual WAN work in this case by the main auto shifting over?

My guess is that I would have to move the AX11000 downstairs to the basement to the area with 3 outlets vs 2 to compensate for the additional incoming WAN connection, or would I simply be able to install a switch at the wall outlet where the router currently exists?

Appreciate any feedback or directions for this and let me know if anything needs further explanation, can also draw out a map of it.

Welcome to the forums @Starlocket.

I wouldn't consider dual WAN if you don't have to. I'd consider switching providers though to one with a more stable track record.

Don't connect an AiMesh node via a switch (many forum posts on this issue).

How are you adding the node to your network?

Welcome to the forums @Starlocket.

I wouldn't consider dual WAN if you don't have to. I'd consider switching providers though to one with a more stable track record.

Don't connect an AiMesh node via a switch (many forum posts on this issue).

How are you adding the node to your network?

Hi and thank you!

Sadly the only other option is not something we would have opted for, and doesn't offer the services we'd need but given the cheap cost it would def save us time over tethering especially since our phones don't get signal in the basement for it well.

Though I guess I missed the switch part so that may have been the reason for the cut outs once a day.

As for the setup, per above lemme draw this out rq.

Attached is the first one with how it was initially setup, then a 2nd image of my understanding based on what you've suggested on how it SHOULD be setup, please let me know if I should hcange anything or if this would be a bad idea.

2nd is written as revised (forgot to add that the 2ndary ISP would connect to the AX11000 as well )

We have security camera's as well as everyone working from home so we want to ensure the maximum uptime as well as being able to separate certain devices to specific wans ( if that's an option) since we use Nest that way they can all upload via the 2ndary alleviating the primary as well as other services.

Attachments

• fdd8760702[1].png
    fdd8760702[1].png
    246.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 9e51d8f05d[1].png
    9e51d8f05d[1].png
    213.7 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Just updating @L&LD Never heard back but was able to get help on another forum, thank you for trying though. I apologize if the above was a mess. Mods can close this thread if needed.

My apologies too. I did read your reply from a week ago but thought others would answer.

The two weeks centered on the end of the month is a particularly busy time for me.

If you could give the solution in point form, this thread won't be a waste for anyone looking for similar info in the future (I don't believe threads get deleted, and I would be saddened if they did).