What's new

AX11000 Hardlined Speed issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

apk07

New Around Here
Good evening everyone,

New here but hoping to get some support. I have been on the phone for endless hours and each time they just tell me the device is defective and I do not believe that is the case. (multiple devices here and it works hardlined directly to modem)

So my ISP router/modem combo has an adapter and if I hardline from that adapter directly to my PC I obtain 2.5gb download and upload speeds. My issue is the modem/router is terrible for wifi and doesn't reach anywhere else in the house. So I went and bought an AX11000 to hopefully fix this. However either my settings in my ASUS router are not set up correctly or maybe I just cannot do what I need done with this specific router.

I have my modem/router adapter going directly into my 2.5G port into the ASUS router. And then my PC is connected to the LAN 1 port. Support teams are all stating that the LAN 1 port can and will support over 1000mbps speed however I have yet to achieve that. Is there a better way of connecting my router/modem to the WAN port on the ASUS so I can use the 2.5G port for hardline to my PC?

Priority 1 is to get my PC back to 2.5gb down and then just a working wifi for the rest of the house. I don't know why this is so difficult and frustrating, any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

After reading other articles I have come to my own conclusion that since this only has the 1 2.5GB port I am using it up from modem to router. And the LAN does not support over 1gbps like they are stating. Just ordered a new AX6000 to hopefully fix this issue. Will update.

When you plug it in there should be a drop down menu in the GUI and select whether you want to use it for WAN/LAN. Doesn't matter which you use it for but, sicne your PC needs something to connect to then set it as LAN.

Now, if you had higher than 2.5GE WAN you could do the same with a 5GE USB adapter but use it for the WAN. Then convert the WAN port to the LAN side at 2.5GE.

When you plug it in there should be a drop down menu in the GUI and select whether you want to use it for WAN/LAN. Doesn't matter which you use it for but, sicne your PC needs something to connect to then set it as LAN.

Now, if you had higher than 2.5GE WAN you could do the same with a 5GE USB adapter but use it for the WAN. Then convert the WAN port to the LAN side at 2.5GE.

So I went ahead and ordered the AX6000 RT AX89X router because it has two multigig ports. Figured it would be as simple as plugging in from my modem to the WAN and then the PC to the multigig.

However I am STILL running ~1GBPS down/up. I just don't understand. Even after checking the Asus settings for multigig it still does not go past the 1GBPS. Do I need to mess with Dual WAN or primary WAN and should I be using the LAN ports at all? No right?

So after an hour on Asus support they told me to fill out a form and send me to the next level of support. :( Right now we have modem into the 10G Base-T. And then my PC into LAN port. Changed my Primary WAN to 10G Base-T and then turned on Jumbo Frame for LAN. I get 2500 MBPS in my router settings for speed, but we cannot get it to output that to my PC. My network card supports it, and I do get 2.5GB speeds when I remove ANY router and hardline into modem. I just don't understand it and beyond frustrated. Been trying to figure this out for a month now. Any input would be truly truly truly appreciated.

2.5GE PC<>Modem
1GE PC<>Router<>Modem

Right?

Maybe the router is a lemon? Can you get a 2.5 link state when you plug the PC into the WAN port?

So I went ahead and ordered the AX6000 RT AX89X router because it has two multigig ports. Figured it would be as simple as plugging in from my modem to the WAN and then the PC to the multigig.

However I am STILL running ~1GBPS down/up. I just don't understand. Even after checking the Asus settings for multigig it still does not go past the 1GBPS. Do I need to mess with Dual WAN or primary WAN and should I be using the LAN ports at all? No right?
I think you are misunderstanding the capabilities of that router (or I'm misunderstanding what you are doing).

According to this that router has 8 x 1Gb LAN, 1 x 1Gb WAN, 1 x 10Gb (copper) and 1 x 10Gb SFP+ (fibre). So unless you're using both 10Gb ports* (the fibre optic connection only operates at 10Gb) you will be limited to 1Gb wired throughput to a single Ethernet client. You should get higher combined throughput by aggregating wired and wireless clients.

* P.S. I'm not sure using both 10Gb ports at the same time is a supported configuration.
EDIT: According to these posts you can use the SFP+ port for WAN and the 10GbE for LAN, or vice versa.

Last edited:
2.5GE PC<>Modem
1GE PC<>Router<>Modem

Right?

Maybe the router is a lemon? Can you get a 2.5 link state when you plug the PC into the WAN port?
so its MODEM 2.5GWAN to A Moca Ethernet adapter to my Router 10G BASE-T. Then my Router LAN 1 to PC.

This is my 3rd router, everything is saying it should be able to hold the 2.5gb speeds, and in the router setting itself it shows 2500 mbps download/upload speeds from the modem but it cannot output it.

I think you are misunderstanding the capabilities of that router (or I'm misunderstanding what you are doing).

According to this that router has 8 x 1Gb LAN, 1 x 1Gb WAN, 1 x 10Gb (copper) and 1 x 10Gb SFP+ (fibre). So unless you're using both 10Gb ports* (the fibre optic connection only operates at 10Gb) you will be limited to 1Gb wired throughput to a single Ethernet client. You should get higher combined throughput by aggregating wired and wireless clients.

* P.S. I'm not sure using both 10Gb ports at the same time is a supported configuration.
EDIT: According to these posts you can use the SFP+ port for WAN and the 10GbE for LAN, or vice versa.

I was informed that their LAN can support 2500, however. With your statement having 2 Cat 7 cables it is not possible to have one of them as an 2.5 input and one as a 2.5gb output with the ports on this device.

When you're testing to the PC direct are you getting 2.5GE through the MOCA?
Yes. And I just changed it up and went from MODEM to WAN. And then PC to the 10G BASE-T. However then the router only picks up 1GBPs speed and thats what the PC gets. Could there be a setting issue on why the WAN is only intaking 1GBps?

Going to try the 2.5gbe usb 3.0 and see if this works, if not going to then try the fiber to rj45 adapter. I will update if I ever get it to work.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!