What's new

AX3000 any way to debug intermittent dropouts?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zaqwsx3

New Around Here
Hi all. I've got an Asus RT-AX3000 which continues to have intermittent dropouts (anywhere from 1 second to several minutes) over the previous couple of months. I finally got around to installing Merlin today, hoping there might be something there to help debug what is causing these dropouts.

For my home internet connection, I've got a HFC line that comes into an Arris CM8200 box, then WAN cable out to the AX3000. I've got a couple of laptops directly wired in to the LAN ports on the AX3000, and another cable going off to a TPLink Deco X20 Wifi mesh thing to serve other devices around the house (around 30 devices on the network in total). I've disabled the wifi on the AX3000.

The lights on the Arris HFC box are stable, which seems to indicate the HFC link isn't the thing going down. And nor can I see any indication on the AX3000 that the link has gone down. But it's the clients connected which notice the internet connection goes down. I'm using a chrome extension called "Internet Connection Monitor" on the laptops to record timestamps at when these disconnections occur. Here's an example of the dropout intervals and duration. Note, sometimes it may be stable for several hours, but then we may get times when it's up and down like a yoyo. We've even had logs of it going down in the early hours of the morning when no-one is awake (noting I leave the laptops on to monitor it). There just doesn't seem to be a pattern to it.

I've SSH'd into the AX3000 and can see /tmp/syslog.log, but that mainly just shows packets dropped by the DoS protection. Was hoping there might have been a correlation between the timestamp of the internet dropout and something in syslog, but nothing to report there.

Are there any tools on Merlin I could use to debug this further? Any tips/ideas are welcome :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!