What's new

Ax56u or rt-ac5300 (used)??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Innocent

Occasional Visitor
Read it on the web ax56u has better specs (cpu,ram) than rt-ac5300. Now i need some advise which one should i get.. ax56u about $150 and rt-ac5300 used for $210

My net speed is 50/50, no vpn, will be mainly used for youtube, twitch, gaming (5 people,n about 6-10 devices). Need wide coverage and reliability

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
The RT-AC5300 is a triple band, and supports up to four streams. The RT-AX56U is dual band and supports up to two streams. CPU is only marginally faster on the RT-AX56U. So, it's not a clear cut upgrade, it depends on your specific environment.

In my opinion we are in an interim AC/AX period, so I'd look for something to tide me over. Perhaps one of the following; RT-AC66UB1(1750B1), RT-AC1900P or RT-AC86U. Sometimes you can find a refurbished or open box deal.

AX56U will probably get longer support for less money, so I would take this.

With wide coverage and up to 10 devices for the various activities listed, the RT-AC86U would be my pick when on sale. No refurbished units either (late 2019 model or newer).

The now old RT-AC5300 has been surpassed except for possibly maximum throughput at distance/obstructions (and even that is 'theoretical'). Unless your home is unique with concrete walls and other WiFi unfriendly materials, the 4 streams/antennae it offers has been eclipsed with models that can give you your maximum speeds at almost any distance/location in the home (depending on the client, of course).

If the RT-AC86U isn't on sale, then the RT-AX58U may be a consideration too. :)

The RT-AC5300 is a triple band, and supports up to four streams. The RT-AX56U is dual band and supports up to two streams. CPU is only marginally faster on the RT-AX56U. So, it's not a clear cut upgrade, it depends on your specific environment.

So in real life performance ac5300 would do better if i need coverage and reliability?
My house is only 1 floor, 3000sft/240m2.
In my opinion we are in an interim AC/AX period, so I'd look for something to tide me over. Perhaps one of the following; RT-AC66UB1(1750B1), RT-AC1900P or RT-AC86U. Sometimes you can find a refurbished or open box deal.

Only rt ac86u sold in my country from what u've listed.

AX56U will probably get longer support for less money, so I would take this.

Im thinkin the same

With wide coverage and up to 10 devices for the various activities listed, the RT-AC86U would be my pick when on sale. No refurbished units either (late 2019 model or newer).

The now old RT-AC5300 has been surpassed except for possibly maximum throughput at distance/obstructions (and even that is 'theoretical'). Unless your home is unique with concrete walls and other WiFi unfriendly materials, the 4 streams/antennae it offers has been eclipsed with models that can give you your maximum speeds at almost any distance/location in the home (depending on the client, of course).

If the RT-AC86U isn't on sale, then the RT-AX58U may be a consideration too. :)

Rt-ac86u cost about $270 in my country and here routers never go on sale sadly. Ikr third world country. And ax58u hasn't been sold in my country.

Yes, that is the cost without a sale here too for an RT-AC86U.

From all the information above, including a 3000 SqFt single level home, this is the router that seems most applicable.

So in real life performance ac5300 would do better if i need coverage and reliability?
My house is only 1 floor, 3000sft/240m2.

I can't comment on range, you'd have to find a review that actively tested it. My guess is you won't see much differences between any mid/high end model these days, the basic constraints being local regulations regarding power output limitations, and the laws of physics related to attenuation.

The only general safe rule is to try with one, ideally in a central location, and if range is an issue, then add a second access point/repeater rather than trying to find a different router with a larger coverage. Chances are the weakest link isn't going to be your router anyway but your low-power clients connecting to it.

Decided to buy ax56u and it just arrived today

Cant resist on a good deal ax56u (used) for $100 only :D

Setting up merlin + script and its a beast
It covers my entire single floor 3000sqft house.

And i have 1 question does ax56u has 4 or 3 cores 1.5ghz cpu? it seems 4th core didnt show any sign of workin it stays at 0% while others fluctuating.
Screenshot_20200508-221829_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: