What's new

AX58BT connects to AX88U in AC mode only

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SlimShaggy

New Around Here
Hi,
I have an RT-AX88U router (stock firmware 3.0.0.4.386_46065), and recently I bought a PCE-AX58BT adapter for my Windows 10 PC. The problem is, the PC only connects in AC mode (866/866 Mbps), and if I set the router to AX only, it won't connect at all. My Samsung S21 phone connects to the router in AX mode. The adapter driver is the latest one from Intel website (22.100.1.1). The problem also existed with the version initially installed by Windows, and with the driver from the ASUS CD that came with the adapter. Windows 10 version is 21H2. Doing a network reset in Windows didn't help.

Attachments

• Wireless-General.png
    Wireless-General.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Wireless-Professional.png
    Wireless-Professional.png
    88.1 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
I don't have a solution and possibly not even a suggestion except to quote my own circumstance.
I bought a PCE-AC58BT several years back. It comes with an Intel AC9260 mounted on it and uses Intel drivers.
I recently swapped out the AC9260 for an Intel AX200 and achieved AX comms with a 160 wide transmission.
I note that the AX58BT has a big chunk of heatsink on it but since it takes Intel drivers it would seem to have an AX200 underneath all of that heatsink.
I wonder what is the need for that heatsink. I have seen AX200s and AX210s used without any heatsink.
My router is an RT-AX86U. My Intel driver version is that same as yours and I am running Win 11 Pro.
There is another thread around on similar subject. It might be useful to you.
[Root Cause Found] RT-AX88U Can't get link speed over 866.7Mbps with AX201 or AC-9260 WIFI in laptops (160MHz) | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)

Thank you for your reply. Today it shows Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) in the connection properties. I didn't do anything, it just connected that way when I turned on the PC. The speed is only 865/961 Mbps though, about the same as I had in AC mode (866/866).

How far / how many obstacles between our and the router?

Have you tried different Control Channels on the main router (not Auto)?

Have you tried relocating, re-orientating, elevating the router and/or the antennae relative to each other? A few inches may help tremendously.

It's about 5 m between the PC and the router, and there's a wall with a door. The antenna was standing on the PC case under the table, and after I put it on the table top, the speeds went up to 1134/1201 Mbps. Thank you!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!