What's new

AX58U Meshnode lossing config

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

miniterror

Regular Contributor
Using a AX-86U as main router and AX58U as node in the attic, both units running Rmerlin his 386.2_4 build.
Started my work this morning and noticed my laptop had poor WiFi signal, looking at my phone i can see WiFi network named ASUS_5G.
Trying to connect too it doesnt work, leeps stating "Fetcing IP" but it wont actually get a IP.
Within the Gui of the AX86U it stil states the 58U is connected, but sending a reboot signal doesnt actually reboot it.
Manually rebooting the device doesnt change anything in the fact of connecting to the ASUS_5G network.

I have a fixed IP of the device so i tried to SSH towards the device.
This works without a problem, and to my surprise the login credentials are the one i set in the AX68U, so it seems to be having some config left but it seems like it isnt actualy getting the network configuration part.
I end up factory resetting the entire device and set it back in AiMesh mode so i can add it again in the AX86U but this is all a bit of a hassle as the initial setup deosnt have the AiMesh node option.
I actualy have to set it up as router, then press the "wireess router" line and change it in the operation mode page to AiMesh node.

If this happens again, is there anything i can gather as information to get this investigated or is this something is should start to live with and just get used too it will happen every x days?
At the moment i still have it this mode, but i have to fix it shortly as i will have meetings i need to attend

And this happened again today for the 5th time since posting this thread.
No one any idea what is going on?

Thx for the repsonse, i have done many factory resets on both the AX-86U and the AX-85U.
My config is pretty flat, one SSID for 5Ghz and one for 2.4Ghz, no guest networks or Vlans so i dont use backups after a factory reset.
Done JFFS reset on reboot multiple times while all the factory resets been done.
Formatted USB stick in the AX-86U every time whne doing the factory reset so i do not think doing it again will help in this situation.
The problem persists every x days.
Havent posted all of them but this morning i was unhappy about the situation again so thought about updating this post.

I have a daily reboot schedule set.
I think it might have something to do with the 58 booting up a split second faster then the 86 and therefor cant get its proper configuration.
On the other side, doing a regulair reboot of only the 58 should then fix it, but that doesnt happen.

When the device is in this problematic state i can still SSH to it, LAN ports are still working, and i can reboot it from the AI-Mesh menu, so there still seems to be some sort of communication between both system, just the entire WiFi config seems to be missing.
It sends the WiFi SSID ASUS_5G, after a factory reset its ASUS_B0.
One other i have noticed during all these factory resets, during the initial wizard i cant choose mesh node, i can force it to become one by entering the correct URL wich saves me some time in re-doing the unit but it still is annoying.
Especially since its the unit in my office that my work laptop connects too and my initial meetings get crappy quality as the laptop goes to the 86 wich is 2 floors lower.
People who are looking for the URL to go into node mode: router.asus.com/QIS_wizard.htm?flag=amasnode_page

The details in the link I offered are pretty important.

For example, formatting the USB drive in the router is 'wrong' in my experience. Unless you've also/first formatted it on a PC with a totally different format (i.e. NTFS).

In your setup, I would first set up the main router, fully, after a 'nuclear' reset as shown in the link below.

Fully Reset Router and Network

Do it a couple of times. Each time, flashing the current firmware you want to use on the router (yes, repeatedly flashing the same firmware has fixed issues for many here).

Then, do it once more with the original link I gave above.

Now, insert the USB drive you've formatted on your PC. And just format it (single partition) and add the swap file (2GB) to it.

When at least an (additional) hour has gone by (after all the above-needed reboots have been done), and after you've rebooted the main router and waited for at least 10 to 15 minutes for the router/network to settle, do the same to the router you want to use as an AiMesh node. Obviously, you're not setting it up as the main router. You're just ensuring it is fully reset. After it reboots the last time from the WPS Button reset recommended for your specific routers (see link below), do not go into the GUI. Turn it off.

Now, set up the scripts you use on the main router. Again, reboot after 15 minutes and check that all are working as intended.

Now, from the main router's GUI, add the AiMesh node (that you've just turned on).

If this doesn't bring the system to a more stable state, I would say either the specific method/order you're using is possibly at fault, or, the hardware is faulty.

I hope it works in your case as it has worked for others too.

Spoke with Amazon where i bought the AX58U and we came to the conclusion to return the device and get a refund.
Going to exchange it for a AX68U and hope it wont give the problem again.
As it only serves as a mesh node in the attic i assume it will be more the sufficiënt for that.
AX68U will be delivered tomorrow and hopefully this will resolve the problem.
Looking at Google the AX58U seems to be sort a hit and miss, for some it works without problems, others seem to have constant problems with it.

Let us know how that RT-AX68U works out for you.

Since you are swapping the 58U, probably just academic. How hot is your attic? Mine could bake bread in the summer.
Any way you could move it down into a living area - even just to see it it still happens?
Also, the heat might make the power supply might be unstable. Did you run uptime to see if the 58U is rebooting (at an unscheduled time)?

Let us know how that RT-AX68U works out for you.
Will do, although it might take some time.
It doesnt happen daily but if it doesnt happen after a month i can assume its resolved by the swap.

Since you are swapping the 58U, probably just academic. How hot is your attic? Mine could bake bread in the summer.
Any way you could move it down into a living area - even just to see it it still happens?
Also, the heat might make the power supply might be unstable. Did you run uptime to see if the 58U is rebooting (at an unscheduled time)?

When its hot outside it can get quite hot at my attic, during hottest days in summer it got to like 35c ambient temps.
As for uptime its hard to check for me, i have a daily reboot schedule after Diversion blocklists have updated.
I know it isnt needed but for my own feeling i tend to let them go.
Within Diversion i have 16 lists configured wich add up to approx 1.7xx.xxx blocked domains.
Thanks for giving the suggestion, will try a different power outlet if it happens again with the AX68U.

Update for this thread.
I returned the AX58U and got myself a AX68U, this is giving different problems.
Still kept the config for wireless but no client can connect to it anymore the next morning.
Just ordered a AX86U and going to return the AX68U.
Hopefully having 2 of the same will resolve my problems with AiMesh and give me a stable WiFi connection everywhere in my house.

So i have 2 AX86U's now for a few days.
Main router with MErlin firmware, node with latest stock image, so far no problems.
Hope it will stay this way and my AiMesh troubles are resolved.

Small and last update unless i will experience a problem again.
Been running the 2x AX86U's for 9 days now and havent seen the problem of loosing the node.
Main unit that functions as router running Merlin firmware and the node is running latest stock image.

I'm having this problem on my ax58u node 386.3_2. The node is still an aimesh node, but is broadcasting on ASUS_5G (5G) and ASUS (2.4G). Changing the 5G channel changed the channel on both router and node (I mistakenly thought it was a neighbor on ASUS_5G on the same frequency). This means that the node is listening to the router, because both router and node changed channel.

My observations are based on WiFi Explorer Lite on a MacBook Pro.

I removed and replaced the node. The SSIDs (same for 2.4 and 5G) of the Router and node then matched. The node was set to 40Mhz on 2.4 Ghz for the node, and 20 Mhz on the router. The control channel changed from 11 to 6. 2.4 was set to 20/40, so I guess the different channel bandwidths was OK. The control channel was also auto, so I suppose that was ok.

Both the AX88 and AX58 are less than 3 months old, but replaced router and node at different times. Each was hardware reset before and after the Merlin firmware update, but I didn't clear the settings. I also initially put the AX58 with factory firmware (version unknown) into the aimesh before using the aimesh controls on the router to update the firmware on the node.

Don't worry, @L&LD, I'm updating to 386.5_2 soon, and will do a M&M reset on both, before forming the aimesh. If this happens again, I'll post again here.

At this point this is FYI that the symptoms have happened more than once. I'd be happy to hear suggestions on data I should gather if this happens when I do things the "right" way.