What's new

AX6000 1 to 2 meters proximity ping from clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tashcz

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
I've upgraded to AX6000 a few days back. After testing the router a bit, I've found some anomalies. On my old AC58U (I know, old af), my WiFi latency on 4 laptops (my 2 personal ones, 1 work one + gfs one) all with either WiFi6 or WiFi6E networking, ping on 5GHz 160MHz to the router is not less than 4ms, averages 6ms and spikes to xx ms. On my old router it was 2-3ms max, and right now at work I'm testing the work laptop and my personal Elitebook G9 860/Intel i7 Evo and I'm getting 2ms at around 4-5 meters away from the Huawei router.

What could cause the issue? I've turned off QoS, turned off AI Protection, Traffic Analyzer... I know those are milis, but still, I'm not getting those numbers anywhere. When you combine that with latency to remote servers it's just added.

Also, how can I check if the HW acceleration is enabled? And ICMP traffic priority, that might cause ping to respond slower?

Ty guys,

Been watching the forums for years now but now it was time to join the discussion.

Hello,
I've upgraded to AX6000 a few days back. After testing the router a bit, I've found some anomalies. On my old AC58U (I know, old af), my WiFi latency on 4 laptops (my 2 personal ones, 1 work one + gfs one) all with either WiFi6 or WiFi6E networking, ping on 5GHz 160MHz to the router is not less than 4ms, averages 6ms and spikes to xx ms. On my old router it was 2-3ms max, and right now at work I'm testing the work laptop and my personal Elitebook G9 860/Intel i7 Evo and I'm getting 2ms at around 4-5 meters away from the Huawei router.

What could cause the issue? I've turned off QoS, turned off AI Protection, Traffic Analyzer... I know those are milis, but still, I'm not getting those numbers anywhere. When you combine that with latency to remote servers it's just added.

Also, how can I check if the HW acceleration is enabled? And ICMP traffic priority, that might cause ping to respond slower?

Ty guys,

Been watching the forums for years now but now it was time to join the discussion.

Turn off 160mhz on the router and see how it does.

Also test a bit further than 1-2M, it is possible to be too close to the router.

Will try that when I get home. On 2.4GHz 40MHz I get even more latency.

What's your guys experience with latency over wifi?

. On 2.4GHz 40MHz I get even more latency.
Because 40mhz on 2.4 overlaps at least partially with every other network in range and you have to share airtime with all of them.

40 mhz on 2.4 and 160 on 5 is pretty much for when you live in the boonies and even then your microwave or a distant airport may cause you problems.

Yeah, I wrote 2.4GHz off for everything that's not IoT or some older clients where I really couldn't care more about the WiFi speed.

I've came back home. I've done some tests & reset the router to factory defaults. I'm still getting the same results. I'm just using WiFi 6 for testing and my latency avg is 4ms, while ocasionally I get 2-3ms, but mostly it's 4-12ms. It's really a lot. I've roamed around the house, the router is in the hallway with one wall between the spot where I'm at and since it's a long hallway I went 3 meters away from it. I get the same ping variations from it.

Again, I'm not saying that's much, but that's something that wasn't happening on my AC router that had the damn broadcom wireless & it was a basic 1300AC router.

There's nothing around me that's sending 5GHz in close proximity, only 5GHz clients are 10+ meters away with a reinforced concrete block between us (or more).

Is there maybe something that's making the router "lazy" to respond to those ping requests? Don't know how much I can do about this, I'm not sure if it's normal since it never happened to me, though I haven't had experience with messing with WiFi 6 gear yet.

Yeah, I wrote 2.4GHz off for everything that's not IoT or some older clients where I really couldn't care more about the WiFi speed.

I've came back home. I've done some tests & reset the router to factory defaults. I'm still getting the same results. I'm just using WiFi 6 for testing and my latency avg is 4ms, while ocasionally I get 2-3ms, but mostly it's 4-12ms. It's really a lot. I've roamed around the house, the router is in the hallway with one wall between the spot where I'm at and since it's a long hallway I went 3 meters away from it. I get the same ping variations from it.

Again, I'm not saying that's much, but that's something that wasn't happening on my AC router that had the damn broadcom wireless & it was a basic 1300AC router.

There's nothing around me that's sending 5GHz in close proximity, only 5GHz clients are 10+ meters away with a reinforced concrete block between us (or more).

Is there maybe something that's making the router "lazy" to respond to those ping requests? Don't know how much I can do about this, I'm not sure if it's normal since it never happened to me, though I haven't had experience with messing with WiFi 6 gear yet.

6 does use more complex encoding but it should not be adding milliseconds that I know of. I don't know if there is anything in the router deprioritizing ICMP but that typically should only kick in of there is contention (CPU is busy with other stuff or interface is saturated). You could try getting a TCP ping working and see if that is any better. Could just be the chipset in that router isn't as good.

To eliminate the possibility that the router is deprioritizing (or just slower at processing) pings you can try pinging another PC on your network as well, via both the old and new routers, see if there is a difference. A wired PC would be best just so one end is consistent. You can try other channels too, there may be interference that you can't see with a standard wifi analyzer. Or you can ping your ISP gateway through both. They may also be deprioritizing pings but it should be consistent between the two as long as they aren't overloaded.

Yeah, I figured it should even lower the latency on 6 if I'm at line of sight.

So far I've tried:
- different channels (from 40's to 100 iirc, since my laptop can't see the network if I get 160MHz from 120+)
- different bandwidth - 40/80/160MHz, doesn't make a difference, it even seems that 80 gives worse results, which at one point made me believe a part of the 160MHz width is jammed
- 20 and 40 MHz 2.4GHz which show the same or sometimes worse ping response times
- QoS and such stuff - no point, I know, I lose hw acceleration, and I left only 1 client connected, but gave a shot on everything I could
- tried different beamforming settings
- factory reset.

I'd try to tweak the beamforming again and try to get the different channels to work, since it might be even the 5GHz spectrum is clogged. Any advice on what a good setup is? MUMIMO, Airtime fairness? WMM APSD?

LAN ports on both 1G and 2.5G connections (tested 2.5G with both Intel & Realtek NICs) give sub-milisecond response times, so it's just the WiFi.

Is it... maybe just normal to have 3-10ms client to router ping times?

I do have a lot of other questions about this particular router but I'll try to open up more threads as I go down the line. It's a state of the art thing, that's for sure, and even though I've browsed the forum over the years many times, there wasn't much I could ask from the AC1300 AX58U than it was already doing.

Thanks a lot for the info and the speedy replies. I know I'm in the right place :)

Have a good one!

Irrespective of which router you're using, which band or how it's configured you ought to be getting ~1ms ping times. If you're not then I'd suggest your testing methodology is flawed. Even my old RT-N66U could return those times. NAT acceleration, QoS, AiProtection, etc. have no bearing on ping times to the router itself.

Well, not much to mistake on ping testing. From Windows clients just "ping -t 192.168.1.1" and that's it.

Well, not much to mistake on ping testing. From Windows clients just "ping -t 192.168.1.1" and that's it.
Exactly. So you need to eliminate other factors (as much as is possible). Like other processes running on the PC, or other devices using or interfering with the Wi-Fi channel.

Yeah, I figured it should even lower the latency on 6 if I'm at line of sight.

So far I've tried:
- different channels (from 40's to 100 iirc, since my laptop can't see the network if I get 160MHz from 120+)
- different bandwidth - 40/80/160MHz, doesn't make a difference, it even seems that 80 gives worse results, which at one point made me believe a part of the 160MHz width is jammed
- 20 and 40 MHz 2.4GHz which show the same or sometimes worse ping response times
- QoS and such stuff - no point, I know, I lose hw acceleration, and I left only 1 client connected, but gave a shot on everything I could
- tried different beamforming settings
- factory reset.

I'd try to tweak the beamforming again and try to get the different channels to work, since it might be even the 5GHz spectrum is clogged. Any advice on what a good setup is? MUMIMO, Airtime fairness? WMM APSD?

LAN ports on both 1G and 2.5G connections (tested 2.5G with both Intel & Realtek NICs) give sub-milisecond response times, so it's just the WiFi.

I do have a lot of other questions about this particular router but I'll try to open up more threads as I go down the line. It's a state of the art thing, that's for sure, and even though I've browsed the forum over the years many times, there wasn't much I could ask from the AC1300 AX58U than it was already doing.

Thanks a lot for the info and the speedy replies. I know I'm in the right place :)

Have a good one!

Airtime fairness disabled
Universal beamforming disabled on both bands
Explicit beamforming can be left enabled
MIMO disabled
Everything else at default except maybe some of the main wireless settings, you can disable legacy rates (like setting it to N/AC/AX only or AC/AX only if no N clients), try different channels etc.

To rule out the router just simply not processing ping in hardware or delaying it, do the comparison of both routers to something on the internet, probably your ISP default gateway will be most consistent, or a wired device on your LAN.

Pinging from windows on 5ghz AC I'm in the 2-3 msec range to the router and to a wired client typically. Could probably get it down to 1 if I disabled firewall on both PCs, didn't enable trend micro features, etc. But I've found that's a pretty typical ping time for wireless.

If you see that much variation (3 is fine, 10 is really high) to other devices, then either the router is just junk at passing traffic or you have a lot of interference and/or neighboring wifi.

Here's a thought.... Is your PC a laptop running on battery power? On battery power my laptop's ping to the router is 3ms whereas it's 1ms on mains power.

Here's a thought.... Is your PC a laptop running on battery power? On battery power my laptop's ping to the router is 3ms whereas it's 1ms on mains power.

Yeah good old windows power saving. Even when plugged into mains, some laptops default to "medium" performance, which you can kick up by clicking the power plug icon and dragging the slider to the right.

In power settings I always make sure my wifi is set to maximum performance when plugged in and moderate power savings when on battery. But modern laptops are changing a lot of stuff (like I said seem to default to medium saving for everything no matter what you set, unless you drag up that slider).

No slider on W11. I've disabled all PCIE power savings in power settings.

I've set up everything as drinkingbird said. Getting around 3ms avg, but there are spikes into 10-20ms at some points. Average is down to 3ms or 2ms, depending on... who knows what.

As it's late now, I'm going to setup my old router tomorrow and do more tests. As I'm doing double NAT, I can run two routers simultaneously on the same HGW, I'll test some loading times, along with pinging the exit hop of my ISP and traceroutes. Don't think it's that bad, but will check. I've switched to channel 100 as it seems only 1 network is in range there.

I remember pinging 8.8.8.8 took around 18-19ms earlier, now it's 15-18ms, so it might just be the router acting like this. Got a NAS and two home servers, they act like I'm pining the router itself, so, some spikes, nothing spectacular.

DFS channels are of no use on 160MHz? Only 36/40 and 100?

No slider on W11. I've disabled all PCIE power savings in power settings.

I've set up everything as drinkingbird said. Getting around 3ms avg, but there are spikes into 10-20ms at some points. Average is down to 3ms or 2ms, depending on... who knows what.

As it's late now, I'm going to setup my old router tomorrow and do more tests. As I'm doing double NAT, I can run two routers simultaneously on the same HGW, I'll test some loading times, along with pinging the exit hop of my ISP and traceroutes. Don't think it's that bad, but will check. I've switched to channel 100 as it seems only 1 network is in range there.

I remember pinging 8.8.8.8 took around 18-19ms earlier, now it's 15-18ms, so it might just be the router acting like this. Got a NAS and two home servers, they act like I'm pining the router itself, so, some spikes, nothing spectacular.

DFS channels are of no use on 160MHz? Only 36/40 and 100?

DFS has to be used to get 160mhz, one of the reasons it is not desirable. There are two 80mhz channels outside of DFS in many regions, others only have one.

If you're seeing spikes when pinging an outside IP and LAN IP as well, then it isn't just the router processing of ICMP that is the issue. I suppose it could also be de-prioritizing forwarding of ICMP but I really see no reason it would do that, if anything that would be more load on the router than just passing it.

It is possible the wifi chipset in that router just isn't the best. ICMP ping also isn't the most reliable in the world. There is software out there that you can place on two PCs that will do more real world latency tests using an actual TCP connection, but fluctuations of 10+ msec when nothing else is going on is not typical, even for ICMP.

If you have both routers set up, set them to use the same 80mhz channel (one at a time, power one off for each test) and see how they compare.

The vast majority of people wouldn't notice occasional fluctuations so it may be a non-issue. If I switch to 2.4ghz I get more variation due to the large number of competing networks and bluetooth devices around here, but on 5ghz I'm pretty consistent. Granted AX is theoretically a bit more sensitive to interference due to more complex encoding, so anything is possible.

It could also just be a firmware issue (some process restarting) or a bad chip or solder joint. Can always try to exchange it if it is a problem, or maybe try a different model.

Out of curiosity, I tried to ping RT-AX56U from a laptop with the Intel AX211 card, and I get 1-2ms, with rare pings reaching 10-15 ms. That's using a 80 MHz DFS channel, so maybe 160 MHz is the cause of these spikes. You can also try changing the OFDMA/802.11ax MU-MIMO setting. For example, I've noticed that switching to DL/UF OFDMA + DL/UL MIMO improves ping times a bit.

Tried my AX58U again, unplugged from anything LAN related, WAN, etc. From this room through the wall where it was before, where the AX6000 is now, I get almost, slightly better results with smaller spikes. If I enter the room/hallway, I get 2-3ms constant, no spikes. AX6000 was turned off at this time to prevent interference.

I've literally disabled all beamforming, air fairness, switches to AC 20MHz on my AX6000, changed the firmware to try avoid that case too, and... nope. Close proximity, 2-3 meters from the router, no obstacles, I still get 2-6ms at least. There are spikes when there's the wall though, and they're higher than AC, up to a few tens of ms, but rarely.

There's literally nothing more I can do. I can't isolate the interference in the middle of downtown apartment. In 2 weeks I'll travel to the countryside to relax a bit and bring the router with me, there's a house each hundred meters, that should be enough to test interference - though there are HV power lines near, but it's as much as I can do.

Sanity sake, I went and changed all professional settings on 5GHz on both firmwares, rebooted the device after for it to surely apply, and there's still the added latency. This is what my ping test looks like, one wall, and all the above settings:

Code:
Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
    Packets: Sent = 30, Received = 30, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 6ms, Average = 3ms

I gave a test without spikes to 50-60ms that sometimes happen as it's unknown why and pretty rare, 2 requests one by one, each 100 reqs.

This is to the HGW/modem on the WAN port:
Code:
Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=63

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 21, Received = 21, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 3ms, Maximum = 28ms, Average = 5ms

So it's official, LAN ping is going to be 3-8ms with this guy. Next test is ping/traceroute to 8.8.8.8 with both routers and check how they compare. I might do it on the exit of the ISP hop/gateway to avoid aditional jitter that their equipment may add. I'm on broadband/DOCSIS on 400/40, can get 1000/500 for the same price but there are some things that come along with it that are turn offs for now. So DOCSIS alone isn't that stable (packet story, ask to deliver, then deliver, then ask if delivered... latency nightmare) so I'll try to avoid it as much as possible.

Any AX6000 owners out there that might test their WIFI local ping times to the router? I'm trying to accept this as normal behaviour but if you guys think it's not and someone else with the same router can say they have the same issues, no point of replacing the unit.

Also, I can't find any beta firmware for it.

Last edited:
Tried my AX58U again, unplugged from anything LAN related, WAN, etc. From this room through the wall where it was before, where the AX6000 is now, I get almost, slightly better results with smaller spikes. If I enter the room/hallway, I get 2-3ms constant, no spikes. AX6000 was turned off at this time to prevent interference.

I've literally disabled all beamforming, air fairness, switches to AC 20MHz on my AX6000, changed the firmware to try avoid that case too, and... nope. Close proximity, 2-3 meters from the router, no obstacles, I still get 2-6ms at least. There are spikes when there's the wall though, and they're higher than AC, up to a few tens of ms, but rarely.

There's literally nothing more I can do. I can't isolate the interference in the middle of downtown apartment. In 2 weeks I'll travel to the countryside to relax a bit and bring the router with me, there's a house each hundred meters, that should be enough to test interference - though there are HV power lines near, but it's as much as I can do.

Sanity sake, I went and changed all professional settings on 5GHz on both firmwares, rebooted the device after for it to surely apply, and there's still the added latency. This is what my ping test looks like, one wall, and all the above settings:

Code:
Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
    Packets: Sent = 30, Received = 30, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 6ms, Average = 3ms

I gave a test without spikes to 50-60ms that sometimes happen as it's unknown why and pretty rare, 2 requests one by one, each 100 reqs.

This is to the HGW/modem on the WAN port:
Code:
Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=63

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 21, Received = 21, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 3ms, Maximum = 28ms, Average = 5ms

So it's official, LAN ping is going to be 3-8ms with this guy. Next test is ping/traceroute to 8.8.8.8 with both routers and check how they compare. I might do it on the exit of the ISP hop/gateway to avoid aditional jitter that their equipment may add. I'm on broadband/DOCSIS on 400/40, can get 1000/500 for the same price but there are some things that come along with it that are turn offs for now. So DOCSIS alone isn't that stable (packet story, ask to deliver, then deliver, then ask if delivered... latency nightmare) so I'll try to avoid it as much as possible.

Any AX6000 owners out there that might test their WIFI local ping times to the router? I'm trying to accept this as normal behaviour but if you guys think it's not and someone else with the same router can say they have the same issues, no point of replacing the unit.

Also, I can't find any beta firmware for it.

While it probably isn't really a noticeable amount for everyday use (other than gaming) understand your desire to understand and get to the bottom of it. At this point it doesn't seem to be settings related.

Out of curiosity did you try disabling wifi 6 on the router just to see if that makes any difference? Not saying as a long term solution just to see if it is somehow related to the higher encoding/modulation rates of Wifi6. Basically run it in AC mode and see if it performs similar to your AC router.

If it still is worse, unfortunately I'd say it is either just a limitation of the wifi chipset in that router or possibly some hardware flaw in the router. But hopefully someone with an AX6000 can do a comparison. Trying it in a less congested area is a good idea too, though it may just tell you the chipset in the router isn't as good as others at avoiding interference, not necessarily that the interference is itself the issue.

Other than testing disabling wifi6 I'd say restore everything to defaults and just disable universal beamforming. Everything else generally is fine to leave as default (though I'd probably still avoid 160mhz and DFS unless you really need that extra speed and don't have dropouts due to radar in your area). Some recommend disabling MU-MIMO (or trying one of the other modes) but honestly not that many devices support it anyway and it rarely seems to hurt anything.

Doing a search here it looks like @bulgar71 and @Helder Santos and @MarshallZA and various others have the GT-AX6000 so maybe they can do a test for you to see how theirs is. If the same, then either you just accept what it is (like I said, unlikely it will actually cause you any noticeable impact) or try a different router. It seems many recommend the 6000 as the best "bang for the buck" and love the performance though, so maybe (hopefully) yours is just a dud and can be exchanged, or that's just how it will perform in your environment.

Yeah, I disabled AX, left only AC 20MHz to try lower the 5GHz band as much as possible. Didn't provide any measurable results. I tried lowering it to 20MHz 6 first, then went 80MHz AC, then lowered more, nothing happened regarding the ping issues. Also, to avoid pinging the router itself, tried the home server at one point & the home gateway from the provider. All provide the same added latency as the wifi itself. I will do some more testing by repositioning the router somewhere else, it *might* do something. As I'm having to switch around 7-8 wired & cca 10 wireless clients to this, I'd really like to avoid anything that adds lag to the network - and really don't want to spend this much on a WiFi6 router to get this kind of issues. It's not a cheapo router to get the work done after all :) Just trying my best not to return it & avoid that hassle.

If someone can verify their latency on local network via wifi, that'd be awesome :)

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I disabled AX, left only AC 20MHz to try lower the 5GHz band as much as possible. Didn't provide any measurable results. I tried lowering it to 20MHz 6 first, then went 80MHz AC, then lowered more, nothing happened regarding the ping issues. Also, to avoid pinging the router itself, tried the home server at one point & the home gateway from the provider. All provide the same added latency as the wifi itself. I will do some more testing by repositioning the router somewhere else, it *might* do something. As I'm having to switch around 7-8 wired & cca 10 wireless clients to this, I'd really like to avoid anything that adds lag to the network - and really don't want to spend this much on a WiFi6 router to get this kind of issues. It's not a cheapo router to get the work done after all :) Just trying my best not to return it & avoid that hassle.

If someone can verify their latency on local network via wifi, that'd be awesome :)

Thanks guys.
My latency with Intel AX200 (both PC) is always 1-2ms with most of my routers including 3 Asus ones.

Screenshot 2023-09-28 145042.png

Screenshot is from pinging AX88U on next room (5Ghz 80Mhz connection but same results with 160Mhz), distance is 7-8 meters and no direct line of sight for two devices. Eset firewall enabled on Windows 11 and nearly all settings enabled on router except airtime fairness.

I had a similar problem once but it was resolved after i upgraded the factory firmware. Maybe your laptops have Mediatek/Realtek Wifi and not Intel? Maybe you never updated laptop wifi drivers?

Or maybe everything is working perfect but you have interference, when i walk talking on my phone between the devices ping goes up. Interference doesn't seem to explain the difference between your two routers but a wild guess would be that newer router tries harder to maintain faster speed and corrects many more packages introducing delays.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!