What's new

AX6600 firmware mismatch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bmans

New Around Here
I have three Asus AX6600 routers - I guess they are also known as XT8. I set them up about 15 months ago as a router connected to the modem and two nodes. On the Asus app I could see them as that configuration and what devices were connected to each. I am a real novice when dealing with the network.

I recently had a note to update the firmware. I waited until no one was using a computer so it wouldn't interfere with any work being done. Since then I have lost internet reliability in the extremes of the network where I had good signal strength prior to the upgrade. Today I opened the Asus app to see if I could see if there was a problem. I only saw the router connected to the modem. When looking at the devices connected I saw the other two routers were connected the same as the Apple TV and the computers using WiFi.

The two nodes were fast flashing blue on the indicator leds. I did a reset per the Asus website but no change. I then did a hard reset per the website and no change. I suspect the firmware did not successfully complete on the nodes that are no longer nodes. I don't see how to look at what firmware version they are running since they don't show up as nodes. I took the IP address and tried that in a browser window but got a message it couldn't connect. Now only one shows in the list of connected devices.

Can someone give me some kindergarden-level instructions on what to do? I am at a total loss at this time.

Thank you!

I have three Asus AX6600 routers - I guess they are also known as XT8. I set them up about 15 months ago as a router connected to the modem and two nodes. On the Asus app I could see them as that configuration and what devices were connected to each. I am a real novice when dealing with the network.

I recently had a note to update the firmware. I waited until no one was using a computer so it wouldn't interfere with any work being done. Since then I have lost internet reliability in the extremes of the network where I had good signal strength prior to the upgrade. Today I opened the Asus app to see if I could see if there was a problem. I only saw the router connected to the modem. When looking at the devices connected I saw the other two routers were connected the same as the Apple TV and the computers using WiFi.

The two nodes were fast flashing blue on the indicator leds. I did a reset per the Asus website but no change. I then did a hard reset per the website and no change. I suspect the firmware did not successfully complete on the nodes that are no longer nodes. I don't see how to look at what firmware version they are running since they don't show up as nodes. I took the IP address and tried that in a browser window but got a message it couldn't connect. Now only one shows in the list of connected devices.

Can someone give me some kindergarden-level instructions on what to do? I am at a total loss at this time.

Thank you!

Assuming the router is updated and running, you could try recovering each node as a standalone router (disconnected from your network) and then add them as nodes to the router AiMesh.

Download the current firmware to a PC, wire the PC only to a node, button reset the node, browse to router.asus.com to quick setup the node just enough to get into the webUI, confirm/upload the firmware, reset that firmware to its defaults, and then login to the router webUI to add the reset node to the router AiMesh. etc.

OE

Assuming the router is updated and running, you could try recovering each node as a standalone router (disconnected from your network) and then add them as nodes to the router AiMesh.

Download the current firmware to a PC, wire the PC only to a node, button reset the node, browse to router.asus.com to quick setup the node just enough to get into the webUI, confirm/upload the firmware, reset that firmware to its defaults, and then login to the router webUI to add the reset node to the router AiMesh. etc.

OE
I have downloaded the firmware onto a different PC and have attached one of the nodes to the network plug on the computer to the WAN slot on the node. With power on the node i depressed the reset with a paperclip until the led went out. The node rebooted.

With the node connected to the laptop I get the main system router when I type router.asus.com. I will try again with the main router shut off.

Contacted their support and have it resolved. I had to make one of the nodes be the main and then reconnect each node individually.

Thanks to all!

I have downloaded the firmware onto a different PC and have attached one of the nodes to the network plug on the computer to the WAN slot on the node. With power on the node i depressed the reset with a paperclip until the led went out. The node rebooted.

With the node connected to the laptop I get the main system router when I type router.asus.com. I will try again with the main router shut off.

Contacted their support and have it resolved. I had to make one of the nodes be the main and then reconnect each node individually.

Thanks to all!

To login to a router's webUI, wire the PC only to its LAN port, not its WAN port... the PC is a LAN client.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!