What's new

AX82U as main router and ax55 as aimesh node is causing ping spikes!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Popsmoke

New Around Here
So I know that I don't have the optimal setup but here's the backstory. I recently purchased the AX55 to act as a node for PC gaming. The way this works is that my main router, which is located about 10m away from my gaming PC will act as a regular router and the AX55 will act as a node over wifi and then an internet cable through AX55 and my PC. I hate having a 10m cable stretching all the way across the hall and I can't even shut the door due to the cable being severely damaged. This setup has worked (speed wise) as I have 100/100 and it shows 90/80 on average in speed tests and 1-5 latency (1-2 jitter).

The problem is that when I'm gaming, I get severe lag spikes, from 35ms to 600-900ms and then after a couple of seconds it drops to 35 again. This happens every 30 or so minutes. I don't care about the AX55 wifi and only wanted it to work as an ethernet backhaul for my PC. This entire thing is getting tiresome. I've tried powerline adapters, i've tried using an extender and none worked properly. The powerline adapter had severe packet loss (40-70%) and the extender worked great for extending wifi but when I tried to connect it to my PC using ethernet cable, ping spikes occured.

Am I doing it wrong? Is there any other solution? Is it maybe a hardware issue? Is there something in settings I could change so there won't be ping spikes?

I appreciate all help.

So I know that I don't have the optimal setup but here's the backstory. I recently purchased the AX55 to act as a node for PC gaming. The way this works is that my main router, which is located about 10m away from my gaming PC will act as a regular router and the AX55 will act as a node over wifi and then an internet cable through AX55 and my PC. I hate having a 10m cable stretching all the way across the hall and I can't even shut the door due to the cable being severely damaged. This setup has worked (speed wise) as I have 100/100 and it shows 90/80 on average in speed tests and 1-5 latency (1-2 jitter).

The problem is that when I'm gaming, I get severe lag spikes, from 35ms to 600-900ms and then after a couple of seconds it drops to 35 again. This happens every 30 or so minutes. I don't care about the AX55 wifi and only wanted it to work as an ethernet backhaul for my PC. This entire thing is getting tiresome. I've tried powerline adapters, i've tried using an extender and none worked properly. The powerline adapter had severe packet loss (40-70%) and the extender worked great for extending wifi but when I tried to connect it to my PC using ethernet cable, ping spikes occured.

Am I doing it wrong? Is there any other solution? Is it maybe a hardware issue? Is there something in settings I could change so there won't be ping spikes?

I appreciate all help.

Set it in Bridge mode, not as a node. I have my AX55 that way to give service to 3 NAS. In bridge mode it is simply a wifi client linked to your router. For my itr is much faster and stable.

Set it in Bridge mode, not as a node. I have my AX55 that way to give service to 3 NAS. In bridge mode it is simply a wifi client linked to your router. For my itr is much faster and stable.
How does bridge work? I've read that it's 1 connection type etc but still didn't understand it. I have multiple devices and 1 extender connected to my main router (ax82u) and I don't want to ruin it for those. Also, my ISP only provides 1 ip adress, will that be a problem?

Last edited:
How does bridge work? I've read that it's 1 connection type etc but still didn't understand it. I have multiple devices and 1 extender connected to my main router (ax82u) and I don't want to ruin it for those. Also, my ISP only provides 1 ip adress, will that be a problem?

Imagine an ethernet switch that can connect wirelessly to a router to give internet to those wired devices connected to it. Thats a wifi bridge.
I have 5 devices connected to AX55 set in bridge mode. It links at 1100 mbps to XT8. That way, for example, PS4 has a faster internet connection, as it is only wifi AC on its own. I have it connected by RJ45 to AX55 (and 2 NAS, a Google TV...).
As a bridge, the blue WAN plug of the AX55 acts as another normal port (so it has 5 ports).
If you don't need to extend the wifi coverage, using it as a bridge is faster than using it as an aimesh node (because AX55 is dualband, not triband as XT8).

"RT-AX55 can be configured in Media Bridge mode.The Media Bridge mode provides the fastest WiFi connection for multiple media devices simultaneously".:

1635486440819.png

Imagine an ethernet switch that can connect wirelessly to a router to give internet to those wired devices connected to it. Thats a wifi bridge.
I have 5 devices connected to AX55 set in bridge mode. It links at 1100 mbps to XT8. That way, for example, PS4 has a faster internet connection, as it is only wifi AC on its own. I have it connected by RJ45 to AX55 (and 2 NAS, a Google TV...).
As a bridge, the blue WAN plug of the AX55 acts as another normal port (so it has 5 ports).
If you don't need to extend the wifi coverage, using it as a bridge is faster than using it as an aimesh node (because AX55 is dualband, not triband as XT8).

"RT-AX55 can be configured in Media Bridge mode.The Media Bridge mode provides the fastest WiFi connection for multiple media devices simultaneously".:

View attachment 37077
Thanks brother, I'll try it out and let you know how it goes.

Hope you have understood me, as Spanish is my mother language (although I prefer English in webui).
Your english is perfectly fine. I did as you said and it has worked flawlessly. No packet loss, no ping spikes. Network is as stable as ever. Thank you man. I really appreciate it.