What's new

AX82U dns issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

damasko

Occasional Visitor
Hello, I use nextdns DOT in the router. With the clients I check the dnscheck.tools and i get the result in the screenshot below. Among the results there is the nextdns resolver indeed, but even Cloudfare and another one. Those additional ones are unexpected to me.

Furthermore when I login to the nextdns account, an alert says that I am using Cloudfare, but it is not true and the nextdns log confirms that I am sending the queries properly to the nextdns resolver.

Differently, by an android smartphone in which I set the same nextdns DOT via the android menu, the same check shows only the nextdns resolver.
What's wrong in the router? I attach also its settings in the second screenshot.

dns issue.png

dns issue router.png

Check that DoH is not enabled in your web browser. If it is your router will be bypassed for DNS.

thank you bbunge, you are right. I had doh set in broswer even if not knowing.
it means that the asus setting "prevent client auto doh" does not work.

by the way, now cloudfare resolver is off, but there is still present the m1ns.com resolver, any suggestion?
that seems to be due to router, because I find it on android and windows clients too.

Last edited:
In order to check the proper configuration, where are all the settings for dns?
I find them:
- in dhcp tab
- in wan tab
Somewhere else?

In order to check the proper configuration, where are all the settings for dns?
I find them:
- in dhcp tab
- in wan tab
Somewhere else?
WAN - WAN DNS Setting - two places - DNS Server and DNS over TLS
LAN - DHCP Server DNS Server 1 and 2 (normally left blank) and Manually Assigned IP - DNS Server (Optional)
IPV6 - if used

Keep in mind some IoT clients have hard coded DNS Servers. DHCP does not change those. However, using the Asus router app you can assign Safe Browsing settings which will create a DNS redirect for that client in the router to another unencrypted server.