What's new

AX86 Crash/Rebooting 386.2_4

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Armand Plarina

Occasional Visitor
I have version 386.2_4 and experiencing reboots pretty much daily.

Currently running diversion and vnstat. What I did notice was that the memory constantly goes down to about 39meg free before a reboot is triggered (it might sit at that for a while before it happens). Sounds bad to me but I have read many articles about don't worry about the memory available.

I have since rolled back to 386.2 without changing any config and it has been up for 5 days now. Also, I noticed that memory hovers around 150meg free which seems like something worth pointing out.

I may try 386_2_2 just to help isolate where it is happening, as well as remove the installed apps to help to remove that from the equation as well.

I know I'm not being terribly helpful here, but I just want to see if I'm alone and if someone smarter than me with this issue can help diagnose it.

Is there any particular logging I should be doing to help isolate what is going on.

Reactions: Civ
@L&LD Thanks for the nice guide and yes a full manual reconfigure was something I was going to do but not just yet.

I find it ironic that 386.2 base version has no issues with the current config where as the 386.2_4 does. I just bumped it to 386.2_2 to see what happens with that one Hopefully there might be some value in determining which version introduces the issue and then do the full wipe after that to see if that somehow resolves it.

Just trying to help the community and as it stands, it sounds like I might be an isolated case. I'll continue regardless in case this information becomes somewhat useful later.

I have noticed the same with my AX86U on 386.2_4 and 386.2_6; ~daily unexpected restarts and logs don't seem to give any hint as to why. Downgrading to 386.2_2 after work as well to see if that fixes it.

EDIT: Still getting unexpected restarts after downgrade to 386.2_2... hmm. Installing 386.2.

EDIT 2: No crashes on 386.2_0 so far.

Last edited:
Yes, mine just rebooted on 386.2_2. I think I'll try reconfiguring and not attaching the USB key (Diversion and vnstat was running) and see how core the issue is.
But I'm pretty confident it was introduced in 386.2_2 version now.

Yes, mine just rebooted on 386.2_2. I think I'll try reconfiguring and not attaching the USB key (Diversion and vnstat was running) and see how core the issue is.
But I'm pretty confident it was introduced in 386.2_2 version now.
Just had a reboot on 386.2_0 after downgrading... I wonder if the later versions introduced something that downgrading did not clear. Ugh, really don't want to reset and reconfigure everything.

Well; I thought I'd try one other thing. Just remove the USB stick to see if that is causing the issue even though it was fine on the 386.2_0 version. After I did the safely remove on USB then reboot and physically pull out the USB stick everything went to crap. I have computers that will not work DHCP seems to be dead.

So I a firmware update to 386.2_6 followed by a complete reset and I have EVERY option that I did set for reference in case something goes awry. No USB inserted either.

Lets see how this goes. #Science

So it looks pretty solid now. I know people have said you need to clear the ram and manually enter the values back which sucked, but it so far works. Memory is sitting at about 485 meg free. Never seen it that good.

I'll let it go another couple days and then introduce the USB followed by an application at a time until it breaks (if it does)

I've forgotten how full of ads the internet has. I miss Diversion... :)

I have an ASUS RT-AC86U router. I have had the same problem with reboots 3-4 times a day with version 386.2_4. Has now updated to 386.2_6 and hopes it fixes the issue. Otherwise, some developers have to deal with the problem, because it has now been in several versions.

In my mission to identify what is causing this I can say that 386.2_6 is solid so far with a complete wipe and configure and with a USB plugged in a formatted. I feel it has been long enough stable to jump to the next step and install diversion and see if that causes any stability issues.

The step I had after that was VNSTAT after this has been good for about 3-4 days.

So I can honestly say if you are dealing with something like this as an issue I would start with a complete wipe and reconfigure.

So Diversion has been installed now without logging turned on (baby steps). Later that day, the device basically locked. I honestly don't even remember the details, I think I had a power outage and I thought maybe something got messed up and rebooting it fixed my connectivity.

Since then it has been running for a few days (3-4) without issue, so yesterday I decided to turn on logging and lo and behold, it rebooted later in the day!

I turned off the logging to see if it goes back to stability.

I did not configure any location to store the log and I didn't get a chance to see how fast it was growing. But I know up tot his point the router has maintained greater than 450 MB free.

I'll keep it this way for a while and then try turning it on again.

... this is looking to be a diversion topic now. But at least I'm onto something.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!