What's new

Ax86u and ax68u slow down in the evening

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Darl

Occasional Visitor
Speed slows down from 80+ Mbps to 10mbps or less every evening. Routers are RT-AX86U and rt-ax68u . When I test the ISP modem it stays consistent. What could the problem be?
Screenshot_20220310-071956.png

Speed slows down from 80+ Mbps to 10mbps or less every evening. Routers are RT-AX86U and rt-ax68u . When I test the ISP modem it stays consistent. What could the problem be? View attachment 40117

Maybe, my closest neighbor is a truck driver and is trucking for long periods. Still same results. The ISP modem stays constant. But it plagues both routers.
Sounds unlikely in that case. Unless it’s some non-WiFi interference. If you are on Merlin’s firmware you could check the WiFi analyzer and see if you are getting interference. That’s quite odd.

It's a problem that effects both router's. Not sure where to look. Isp stays constant. Not sure where to check. Computer literate, it so much on routers though.

is the ISP router using the same speed test server that you are when you speed test through the Asus ( through the ISP router) ?
Or is the ISP router using an internal server ?

What type of ISP service - cable tv or phone DSL or ?
What level of service - Down/Up Mb/s ?

Anything else using your network during the evening ?

I connect to the ISP service with my android, as with the routers. The ISP download stays a constant 25mbps at all times. I noticed it on the 68u, before adding the 86u. Then I saw the 86u has the same problem. I have also a TP-Link that doesn't have that problem and stays with the mb reading of the isp. The reason I purches the Asus routers was the ease of adding OpenVPN compared to other routers.

is the ISP router using the same speed test server that you are when you speed test through the Asus ( through the ISP router) ?
Or is the ISP router using an internal server ?

What type of ISP service - cable tv or phone DSL or ?
What level of service - Down/Up Mb/s ?

Anything else using your network during the evening ?
Optical, they state 50 Mbps, but I get 25. Good enough. I have 9 cameras attached, 4 smart plugs, and 2 laptops, 5 androids using split routers on same ISP modem. So 3 routers on same isp modem

Think we need some clarification on your install.
From what you wrote your ISP modem is actually a modem/router? It is connected to fiber optic cable?
Your Asus AX86U running in router mode with its WAN port connected to a LAN port on the ISP modem/router? What is the AX68U connected to?

If it is difficult for you to describe draw a picture of your cabling and devices and post it to this forum. We will not pick on your artistic ability.

50 Mb/s symmetric ie. 50 up/50 down stated ?

Who is the ISP ?

What of the above list is connected by wire, what by wireless radio ?

what is an android - a phone /tablet ?

what do you mean by a "split router" ?

what device are you using to test with ?

BTW, what you described initially is typical of a cable TV ISP where the speed drops when everyone on the "neighborhood" comes home and starts streaming and browsing the internet. Optical or coax connection does not matter.

If the system is 50/50, those high download speeds are more likely from buffering somewhere in the hops to the server which is why i asked about how you are testing and which server is being used for the modem/router test. Also if you are not using the same device connected by a wired connection for testing and nothing else using the internet connection or the router, the results can be all over the place.

Think we need some clarification on your install.
From what you wrote your ISP modem is actually a modem/router? It is connected to fiber optic cable?
Your Asus AX86U running in router mode with its WAN port connected to a LAN port on the ISP modem/router? What is the AX68U connected to?

If it is difficult for you to describe draw a picture of your cabling and devices and post it to this forum. We will not pick on your artistic ability.
There are 4 ports on the optic cable modem/ router. I have 3 routers connected to ports. A TP-Link router, a 68u router, and an 86u router connected to 3 of the 4 ports. All 3 routers are connected to the cable modem at 3 separate ports. I use the TP-Link without an OpenVPN. Yea, I know it's an over kill.

50 Mb/s symmetric ie. 50 up/50 down stated ?

Who is the ISP ?

What of the above list is connected by wire, what by wireless radio ?

what is an android - a phone /tablet ?

what do you mean by a "split router" ?

what device are you using to test with ?

BTW, what you described initially is typical of a cable TV ISP where the speed drops when everyone on the "neighborhood" comes home and starts streaming and browsing the internet. Optical or coax connection does not matter.

If the system is 50/50, those high download speeds are more likely from buffering somewhere in the hops to the server which is why i asked about how you are testing and which server is being used for the modem/router test. Also if you are not using the same device connected by a wired connection for testing and nothing else using the internet connection or the router, the results can be all over the place.
I use Speedtest by Ookla for all test.

There are 4 ports on the optic cable modem/ router. I have 3 routers connected to ports. A TP-Link router, a 68u router, and an 86u router connected to 3 of the 4 ports. All 3 routers are connected to the cable modem at 3 separate ports. I use the TP-Link without an OpenVPN. Yea, I know it's an over kill.
OK, then you should have the Asus and TP Link routers set to access point mode. I suspect with the four devices broadcasting WIFI you are creating your own interference. When evening comes and activity on your WIFI increases the WIFI in the devices detect that activity and work to reduce interference. What you get is slow down.

I recommend you put the ISP modem/router in bridge mode and turn off the WIFI. Set the AX86U in router mode connected to the ISP bridged device. Connect the AX68U as an AiMesh node with wired backhaul. Dump the TP Link.

Of course you will do what you want and continue to have issues.

Trust your Asus router with the default WIFI settings

OK, then you should have the Asus and TP Link routers set to access point mode. I suspect with the four devices broadcasting WIFI you are creating your own interference. When evening comes and activity on your WIFI increases the WIFI in the devices detect that activity and work to reduce interference. What you get is slow down.

I recommend you put the ISP modem/router in bridge mode and turn off the WIFI. Set the AX86U in router mode connected to the ISP bridged device. Connect the AX68U as an AiMesh node with wired backhaul. Dump the TP Link.

Of course you will do what you want and continue to have issues.

Trust your Asus router with the default WIFI settings
I will try that, eventually I will migrate everything to the 86u. The problem existed on the 68u before I added the 86u. NowI see both appear to be the same. The isp doesn't change, and the download stays the same.

since we don't know your physical layout inside and outside of the building as well as the distances, the location of each wireless router, we cannot tell for sure if you have too many wireless router/APs too close or if you really need more to get cameras, etc, to work reliably. Even would want to know the construction of the walls - inside and out - brick/stone, wood stud, gypsum board, etc as these significantly affect wireless signal acceptable distances. How many floors you have, Length by Width of the building, etc. None of these have to be precise, but they help us help you. A simple sketch showing the building outline, interior walls, location of the router/APs would help.

A single AX router per floor would easily cover most single family homes with 2.4 GHz band and most with the 5 GHz band but it depends on the number and type of walls. Since cameras tend to be located at the corners of a building, they tend to be at the weaker edge of the wireless signal and can make the wireless layout more difficult as you may have experienced. Wired , Power over Ethernet cameras are the way to go if possible as that makes it much easier.

What Bbunge proposed can make it easier in managing the wireless as a first step. The physical layout and all the above really will help us help you.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!