What's new

AX86U and T-mobile 5G Gateway

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brucipher

New Around Here
Hello. I recently signed up for T-Mobile home internet with the 5G Gateway (made by Nokia). I am using my ASUS AX86U router in conjunction with the Gateway (in Wireless Router mode). The router connects to the gateway no problem and obtains an IP address. My devices are connecting fine to the router via both wired and wireless connection. The main issue is with the wireless on the router. It is very slow. When I try to stream Netflix or Amazon Prime video, it buffers forever and sometimes errors out. I don't have any issues using my devices which are wired to the router. If I connect my wireless devices directly to the WiFi on the T-Mobile gateway, everything works fine. When I had Comcast internet, I had no problems with the WiFi on the AX86U. I've tried manually assigning the 2.4 and 5GHz channels on both devices to make sure they are not using similar channels. I've also tried disabling the WiFi on the gateway all together, but I'm still having the same issues with WiFi through my router. Any thoughts or ideas to correct the issue? Any router settings I could try changing (I am not much of a networking guru, so I don't know much about setting beyond the channels). Thanks in advance!!

I had tmobile@home internet and had some issues specifically with gaming. It's the main reason i returned it. I think your issue may be due to the MTU...trying lowering it from 1500 to 1420 on your AX86U. Also make sure you're not running a fulltime VPN. Other than that, not much customization you can do on the trashcan. You can get additional info from the reddit "r/tmobileisp" forums in regards to MTU/other useful info.

Also make sure you're running the latest firmware on the trashcan. You can contact their support team and they should be able to force the update overnight to your tmobile router if you're on the older fw.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
trying lowering it from 1500 to 1420 on your AX86U

The T-Mobile at home GW maxes out at 1420 - you need to account for VPN overhead - try setting MTU size down to 1350, and you should be good.

(also helps with Palo Alto Global Protect VPN, which I use for Work).

Note - I have recently picked up one of these nokia units, pretty good deal all told, but the Nokia device has essentially nothing to set except WLAN SSID and Channels... no port forwarding, no bridge mode, and IPv4 is Carrier Grade NAT - good implementation on IPv6 however...

Thank you both very much! Just flashed Merlin on my router so I could adjust the MTU, and made the change. I am already noticing a difference. I really appreciate the help!!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!