What's new

AX86U + AX82U - Can the 82U be the primary?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Abbas

Occasional Visitor
I recently picked up an AX86U and an AX82U. I'm using the AX86U as the primary router on my house's ground floor as that's where the ISP's box is. But we have all the bedrooms on the upper floor and that's where I'd like the better WiFi range. Is there any disadvantage to making the AX82U as the primary router and the AX86U as the mesh node? Backhaul will be Gigabit ethernet.

Are there any disadvantages to this setup and woiuld I get better WiFi on the first floor with the AX86U? Also, whats the latest verdict on the 160MHz channel bandwidth? Worth enabling?

The AX82U should give pretty much the same WIFI coverage as a node. Best to leave the AX86U as a router.
As for the 5GHz bandwidth, I use Auto channel, no DFS, at 20,40,80,160 MHz. Most of the time the router uses 80 MHz but when an AX client connects it switches to 160 MHz as long as it is cleared for RADAR.
I should add that this works well with Asus and Merlin firmware. Best to use Asus on nodes.

I recently picked up an AX86U and an AX82U. I'm using the AX86U as the primary router on my house's ground floor as that's where the ISP's box is. But we have all the bedrooms on the upper floor and that's where I'd like the better WiFi range. Is there any disadvantage to making the AX82U as the primary router and the AX86U as the mesh node? Backhaul will be Gigabit ethernet.

Are there any disadvantages to this setup and woiuld I get better WiFi on the first floor with the AX86U? Also, whats the latest verdict on the 160MHz channel bandwidth? Worth enabling?
Hey how download RT AX82U Merlin

Hey how download RT AX82U Merlin

RT-AX82U is supported by another developer - @GNUton

The firmware is here:

The file is RT-AX82U_386.04_0-gnuton2_cferom_puresqubi.w and it's Asuswrt-Merlin official fork.

If you are just using it as a node you can leave it on Asus firmware. And just run merlin on the main router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!