What's new

AX86U - Cabled device keeps dissapearing and reappearing in list of clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Damun

Occasional Visitor
I recently bought two AX58U router to use in a AiMesh setup. This wekend i found a good deal on a AX86U and i bought it after reading a lot of positive mentions about it here in the forum.
I had hoped that the AX86U would cover my apartment better to avoid having two routers in AiMesh (problem with "too much" WiFi).

Well, first of all it did not help with the "dead zone" in one of our rooms, so i still have to use a second router to cover that area.

Second: When setting up AiMesh i noticed that my desktop PC, which is connected to LAN port (yellow no. 1) on the router router (and used for web GUI setup), keeps dissapearing from the list of connected devices in the AiMesh window. The list switches between showing 9 or 10 connected devices and the only one "dropping out" is my LAN connected desktop. My other LAN connected device (IP phone) is showing up on the list constantly. This happened both before and after AiMesh was setup. It happens with latest stock firmware (non-BETA) and latest Merlin firmware (non-BETA). Tried different ethernet cables (all new Cat6 or Cat6e) with same result. I then noticed the same behaviour in the Network map window: the client list keeps switching between showing 9 or 10 clients with my LAN connected PC dropping out.

Do i have a faulty AX86U?

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but is your lan card (port) powering down on the PC? set it to remain constantly on under device manager.

Regarding range set 2.4ghz to 20mhz channel 11 and 5ghz to all mhz including 160 and channel 64. Works for me.

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but is your lan card (port) powering down on the PC? set it to remain constantly on under device manager.

Regarding range set 2.4ghz to 20mhz channel 11 and 5ghz to all mhz including 160 and channel 64. Works for me.
Thanks for your reply and suggestions regarding WiFi range. I'll give those settings a go.

I did a complete hard reset, reset, re-flash Merlin v 386.1_2 , reset and then M&M setup again this afternoon. For good meassure i also changed all LAN cables. Now both cabled devices (my desktop and my IP phone) are disappearing and re-appearing on the list of devices.

This may be one of the issues Asus/Broadcom have to address with the closed-source blobs then.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!