What's new

AX86U dead (no power)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gffmac

Regular Contributor
Bought December 2021, went offline a few days ago early hours. Showing no signs of life since. Tried an alternative power adapter with same rating and no power.

Anyone know what the likely part could be that failed or possible repair? Loved this router and was working great.

Bought December 2021, went offline a few days ago early hours. Showing no signs of life since. Tried an alternative power adapter with same rating and no power.

Anyone know what the likely part could be that failed or possible repair? Loved this router and was working great.
Warranty: 3 Years.

My heart just sunk, I actually opened it up yesterday to look for anything blown. Cant believe it, thought it was 12 months like most UK stuff..
Probably no point in attempting it now as Ive pearced the label in the back.

Last edited:
Unless you're skilled at soldering VRMs I think you'll just have to call this "a learning experience". At least you get to treat yourself to a shiny new router.

Check that the power socket hasn't worked itself loose from the PCB.

No, not better, that is a unit intended for Germany and will incur delivery charges and possible fees as it is sent from the EU.
Actually its not bad it seems even with the tax.. Cost in UK would be £224.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-03 at 4.13.49 pm.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-03 at 4.13.49 pm.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 17
No, not better, that is a unit intended for Germany and will incur delivery charges and possible fees as it is sent from the EU.

Delivery charge is cheap.

Amazon DE to UK​

Shipping OptionItemDelivery Rates
Standard Delivery
(2-3 working days)
books, music, DVD, software, video games (excl. consoles)€2.99 per delivery  +
€0.99 per kg (proportionally)
Standard Delivery
(2-3 working days)
all other items*€3.99 per delivery  +
2-Days-Delivery
(2 working days)**
books, music, DVD, software, video games (excl. consoles)€5.49 per delivery  +
2-Days-Delivery
(2 working days)**
all other items eligible for "2-Days-Delivery"€5.99 per delivery  +
Premium Shipping
(1 working day)**
books, music, DVD, software, video games (excl. consoles)€6.99 per delivery  +
€2.99 per kg (proportionally)
Premium Shipping
(1 working day)**
all other items eligible for "Premium Shipping"€6.99 per delivery  +
€3.99 per kg (proportionally)

*Some items cannot be delivered at these rates due to item properties that require heightened delivery expenditure. Information for delivery rates on these items can be found on the item's product detail page.

**Please see our terms of guarantee for Premium Shipping (1 working day) und 2-Days-Delivery (2 working days) to Great Britain.

Delivery rates include applicable sales tax.

As far as I know, Asus accepts broken warranty stickers if the failure is not related to the modification you make to your equipment. I asked this many times from them (EU support) and the answer was always the same, they do not mind. Never asked about routers, but I did help friends RMA-ing some graphics cards and a sound card which all had broken seals, and they went through. Maybe you can ask, can't hurt at this point.

Warranty: 3 Years.

Not in every country.

RT-AX88U Pro example below, Canada.

BestBuy:

1693780842143.png

Staples:

1693780863952.png

Canada Computers:

1693780885422.png

The same with other current Asus routers.

Weird. Mine did the same this April, bought Dec 2021. Just dead, used new PSU, still dead. Shop wanted me to talk to Asus direct, Asus said no! Shop then accepted return, but had to send to Asus for testing which would take 28 days. Finally got a "it's failed" response after about 2 months, store credit but none in stock ( stopped being made ). So got store credit... Had already bought the Ax86u Pro from Amazon by then as couldn't wait 2 months for a replacement!!!

Sounds like a bad batch of original AX86U's made near end 2021!!

Can add mine to the list... just stopped working this morning. One moment it was there and the next moment... dead. Luckily I had an AX68U as an AiMesh node that I could repurpose as the main router until I can buy a new router.

Probably no point in attempting it now as Ive pearced the label in the back.

That label doesn't have much standing, it's mostly to keep lay people out, considering that most folks are not electronics technicians..

I would still pursue a warranty request for service.

My AX86U died around May last year whilst watching the Champions League final, same problem the unit failed to power on. Asus agreed it was dead and Amazon issued a full refund without argument, I replaced it with the Pro model.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!