What's new

AX86U - how to get Wireguard and Pihole working together

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

camaro322hp

Occasional Visitor
Hello all. Question regarding Wireguard/Pihole.

I have a Pihole set up as my DNS server on my network. I set its IP as my DNS Server 1 on the LAN - DHCP Server tab. I am not advertising the router's IP in addition. It's working great for devices on my network.

1678900569868.png

I also have a Wireguard VPN Server configured on my AX86U so I can access my home network when I'm away. It's also working great.

However, I noticed that when I'm away and VPN'ed to my home, I don't have any ads blocked. It appears that the VPN connection is not using the router's DNS server.

Here is my Wireguard setup. Not sure what I should change here, if anything.

1678900736785.png

1678900776351.png

I noticed on the VPN peer config, there is a line that says:
Code:
DNS = 10.6.0.1
(but that does not appear to be configurable). My network is based on the 192.168.1.xxx subnet. Not sure where 10. is coming from, but I am a networking novice.

Anyone know what I need to do to get these working together? I am running ASUSWRT latest (22525)

Use Diversion on the router. Uses the same block lists as Pi-Hole.

Use Diversion on the router. Uses the same block lists as Pi-Hole.

I'm willing to try that, but wouldn't I end up with the same issue? I feel like the issue is with Wireguard not using the router's DNS server, so using a different DNS server on the router wouldn't change anything.

VPN Servers use whatever is set in WAN for DNS servers. I was playing with 388_22525 recently, OpenVPN and Instant Guard - the same for both. You have to find a way to push DNS servers to your VPN Server clients, but I don't know how it works for WireGuard. Possible with OpenVPN Server.

In your Wireguard exported config file you should be able to change the line "DNS = " to the address of the Pi-Hole

[Interface]
PrivateKey =
Address = 10.6.0.2/32
DNS = 192.168.1.5

Then import the file into the Wireguard client.

In your Wireguard exported config file you should be able to change the line "DNS = " to the address of the Pi-Hole

[Interface]
PrivateKey =
Address = 10.6.0.2/32
DNS = 192.168.1.5

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

[Interface]
PrivateKey =
Address = 10.6.0.2/32
DNS = 192.168.1.5

That worked, thank you for the suggestion @bbunge!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!