What's new

AX86u JFFS unmounted problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

beerglass007

Regular Contributor
Brand new AX86u which had stock firmware. Without any configuration I upgraded to Merlin Beta 3 and then few days later beta 4

Never ran or enabled jffs access for custom scripts. Then today I wanted to enable SSH and now that the router has been stable decided to start looking at custom scripts for DDNS. Anyway the SSH was enabled and refusing my connection

Using NMAP on a client and I see its not listening on port 22 and in the system logs can see that the RSA host keys fail to enable when enabling SSH, hence why SSH doesn't load

The reason for this is JFSS is unmounted in the status page. I have formatted via the next boot option, rebooted multi times, downgraded to stock firmware again, followed reset guides, full resets, necular resets etc etc and still doesn't mount

Can anyone help please ?

I have the system logs and cannot see anything in them

I did install the stock firmware and enable TELNET access and can confirm the JFSS isn't mounted. I can see this is the main reason that the RSA host keys in /etc/dropbear doesn't work in /jfss/.ssh

So the main problem is the JFSS unmounted

Thanks

Ive ran into it a few times, disabling ssh, reboot, enable, reboot.. It usually starts working

Yes.

Thanks completed and no joy

I cannot SSH into the router due to JFSS not mounted its dead

I really recommend that you stick with Asus stock for the RT-AX86U at this stage ... see my post here ...
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/as...ta-stage-2-is-now-available.69116/post-651706

Do the wifi WPS button press method of resetting - then install the stock code mentioned.
It takes time to respond after reverting from Merlinware - so be patient after reset and reboot.
If the stock firmware doesn't install cleanly - then use Rescue mode to do so.

Then test SSH connection.
If it still fails - time to return the router!

I really recommend that you stick with Asus stock for the RT-AX86U at this stage ... see my post here ...
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/as...ta-stage-2-is-now-available.69116/post-651706

Do the wifi WPS button press method of resetting - then install the stock code mentioned.
It takes time to respond after reverting from Merlinware - so be patient after reset and reboot.
If the stock firmware doesn't install cleanly - then use Rescue mode to do so.

Then test SSH connection.
If it still fails - time to return the router!

I've done the stock firmware and didn't work. When you say rescue mode what is that please ?

Firmware restoration tool for the AX86U

So much for Asus support on the product website :(

Yeah, the landing page makes you input What OS, so I pick W10 and it's the only one that's FUBAR. All the other links were pointing to the newest Firmware. WTF. That's twice this week.

Yeah the rescue mode software isn't support for the AX86u

Worked for me ... and is issued by Asus for the RT-AX86U ... see screen grab ...
rt-ax86u-rescue.JPG

Edit: Of course you have to follow the procedure to place the router in Rescue Mode ... !

Yeah, the landing page makes you input What OS, so I pick W10 and it's the only one that's FUBAR. All the other links were pointing to the newest Firmware. WTF. That's twice this week.

Landing page works a treat if you select OS as in image enclosed ....
EDIT: MY BAD ... Rescue Tool not there :oops:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!