What's new

AX86U reports 386.7_2 needs upgrade to 386.7_2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange - since the 386.7_2 image was clearly built on 24 July 2022 as per the screen grab's I posted. The 386.7 image was built on 23 June 2022.

And yes, sorry, I confused my months when I said that. I was very tired and irritated by people aiming at me with personal attacks. I'm acknowledging I got this wrong.

The last three versions I have updated has shown the same behavior: I needed three times to have the FW installed. During the first two trials the GUI showed a message that the file was uploading (and it was, seen in the windows ethernet traffic utility) and after a long-long time the screen was not refreshing with the typical percentage of the FW during the update. I refresh the page in the browser and nothing, same FW version as before ...

But after a third trial (always at the third :confused:), the process was as usual and the FW was finally loaded.

I have never seen this behavior before with any previous model or version. I've tried the reload about 10 times over the last week. Yes, I could hammer blindly on it until it works. Or, I could diagnose what the failure is... you know, look at logs or something.

Docs for diagnosing the boot process would be wonderful.

I did notice that recent updates may take longer than before to complete. It's possible that Asus made some changes to the firmware image validation process. I just wait for the process to complete.

One assumes a reboot is completion? I see it stop responding, then start again. When it comes up the uptime counter has reset. But it's on the same version as before. I see no errors from dmesg after the reboot, so my best guess is that the failure happens before the reboot (or causing the reboot) or during the boot loader's attempt to use the new image.

Most common causes of failed updates still remain being too low on memory (hence the recommendation of a reboot with no USB disk plugged in), and browser extensions interfering with proper webui operations (antivirus extensions being the most common culprit).

usb drive removed as previously noted. I usually use Safari (with only the 1password extension), but I just tested with a bone stock Firefox with zero extensions at all and got the same result.

One assumes a reboot is completion? I see it stop responding, then start again. When it comes up the uptime counter has reset. But it's on the same version as before. I see no errors from dmesg after the reboot, so my best guess is that the failure happens before the reboot (or causing the reboot) or during the boot loader's attempt to use the new image.

usb drive removed as previously noted. I usually use Safari (with only the 1password extension), but I just tested with a bone stock Firefox with zero extensions at all and got the same result.
One thing that happened to me is that when I uploaded the file, the browser automatically selected the folder that it used the last time, meaning the previous firmware version, and I happily clicked on it. Two times in a row...

This thread is getting long and I may have missed something you have tried. Doing a factory reset with initialize may be a good idea then do a minimal config, power cycle the router off for several minutes then power up and try the flash again. You might also try a Hard Factory Reset also called a WPS reset but this sometimes does not work on AX86U.
As a last resort you could try the Asuswrt beta for the AX86U. It works well for me.

Not insulting? I said a dozen or so times it always says 386.7 and what -- you don't believe me? You need a picture to see this? THIS IS INSULTING but fine here you go
Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 11.09.59 PM.png

No, that's not insulting at all. You think I cannot read 4 numbers with a decimaL

I wish you luck as you find it hard even to follow examples. The image above isn't what was asked.

Your attitude is the only insulting thing here.

When you stop needlessly attacking people trying to help, you may get the help you seek.

Everything you see as an attack is one more person trying to help. Try to see that and have patience for the free support we're trying to offer. At the level, we all can.

Reactions: a5m
I wish you luck as you find it hard even to follow examples. The image above isn't what was asked.
Your attitude is the only insulting thing here.
The "ask" was the picture in post 7. The post 7 shows the top bar which has no other information, and the version is circled in red. That seemed to be what you wanted. You didn't actually describe what you wanted and I see nothing else of relevance there. You're blaming and attacking me for not reading your mind.

I have used words to explain what I'm asking about, I never asked you to read my mind, and yet you've avoided answering every question I asked.

Last edited:
When you stop needlessly attacking people trying to help,
Everything you see as an attack is one more person trying to help.

Calling me names, using insulting words, is not "attempting to help" and you know it. You were not the person using directed insults, but this last post of yours comes pretty close. Simple rule -- when your words are about the person, you're not dealing with the topic, you're attacking the person.

I have never said anything about any of you other than that your refusal to believe me after I repeatedly answer the same questions over and over and over again was insulting. And that directed personal attacks -- insults, characterizations of my behavior -- really, everything that any description of inappropriate behavior includes -- weren't appreciated nor helpful.

But yeah, go for it. Now you want to make me a bad person for asking you to treat a requestor with respect, and focus on the topic not on attacks on them. Which your response is to double down on attacking me.

This thread is getting long and I may have missed something you have tried. Doing a factory reset with initialize may be a good idea then do a minimal config, power cycle the router off for several minutes then power up and try the flash again. You might also try a Hard Factory Reset also called a WPS reset but this sometimes does not work on AX86U.

I understand that this is likely to resolve it. But my configuration has grown complex. Not difficult, but time-consuming to rebuild by typing in dozens of mac addresses and etc by hand for rebuilding the config. I'll be honest, if I'm going to lose a half-day rebuilding my environment from scratch I'm starting to wonder if (given the nastiness and rudeness in this "support" forum) I should invest the time in something else. I've been very happy with @RMerlin's prior work and have been enthusiastically sending him funds for years, but I'm growing tired of being utterly blind to the boot process of the unit (which is utterly undocumented)

DD-WRT sucks in comparison as a user experience, but there's no mystery. I can see the saved firmware and watch it boot when I need to. And I've never gotten insulted when I asked technical questions on the forum.

One thing that happened to me is that when I uploaded the file, the browser automatically selected the folder that it used the last time, meaning the previous firmware version, and I happily clicked on it. Two times in a row...
I understand that this is possible -- but I showed a screenshot of me selecting the image. The version is included in the filename... ;)

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 1.15.50 AM.png

I am doing my best to 'treat you with respect', but you are your own worst enemy. I will repeat, nobody is attacking you, nor are you trying anything to help yourself with the suggestions offered.

For example, your thinking that your screen snip and the one from post 7 is the same, that is too far of a gulf for me to bridge.

Wishing you the best in the future. Good luck. Really. No hard feelings.

I will repeat, nobody is attacking you, nor are you trying anything to help yourself with the suggestions offered.
I see no suggestions, other than reformat and start over. Everything else has been only expressed disbelief at what I'd already posted. Whether you think it was insulting or not, it doesn't move the conversation forward any more than this does.
For example, your thinking that your screen snip and the one from post 7 is the same, that is too far of a gulf for me to bridge.

This is just teasing someone. Playing with their mind. There is one piece of information in that picture, I supplied the same information. Pretending that there's something different that you cannot explain to me... it's just mind games. You're not being helpful, you've offered full zero actual advice that I could do anything with-- you've done nothing except criticize and toss out nonsense like this.

Congrats, you've suckered me and wasted my time. You're soooo awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!