What's new

AX86U switch range from 50.1 to 1.1 - MAJOR issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Neil Smith

Occasional Visitor
Appreciate I've been on here a bit but little by little I'm finding my way through....

Had huge wireless issues, with clients taking over 3 minutes to settle on an internet connection. So I rolled back to the beginning - factory reset (ASUS latest firmware). Configured NOTHING apart name of wireless IDs. Wireless worked flawlessly - connected to the SSID in 5 seconds and immediate internet. BUT as the thread name suggests, when I then changed the range from 50.1 to 1.1 (it automatically changes the pool) all hell brakes loose and I cant even log in - I have to go in wired. Wireless does eventiually connect but not until after a big fight.

Surely changing the range shouldnt make any difference?? Am I missing something here??

If you have the 5 GHZ set to 160 MHZ it will take from three to 10 minutes for the band to clear for RADAR when a change is made that resets the radio.

Your clients will need to release their 192.168.50.x DHCP addresses and renew with a 192.168.1.x address. The network restart should take care of it in general, but make sure clients aren’t still holding on to a 50 address.

thanks. obviously i rebooted the router and my laptop and problem remains. anything else I can do please at the laptop side of things?

i have now switched back to 50.1 without factory reset. no reboot of router or laptop and all is normal again. absolutely bizarre.

I will add that on 1.1 ALL other wireless devices are fine (Firestick, phones). But the 2 laptops refuse to connect. If I cant resolve this I'll have to make sure my replacement router is default 1.1 as I have static IP addresses outside of the 50.1 that I have no control over to be able to change.

Last edited:
I have Asus routers running 192.168.50.0/24 and 192.168.1.0/24 and everything works on either network. If you have clients that you can't change the IP address it is time to get new clients maybe. At least I would question the security of such devices. As for the laptop that will not go over to the 192.168.1.0/24 network, did you tell the laptop network to forget the WIFI connection? Did you try another SSID? DO you use Dual Band SmartConnect (you should)?

The laptop is a 2020 surface pro. I've just plugged my old AC 86U back whos default is 1.1 and my laptop goes back to normal. So something is happening when I change the AX from 50.1 to 1.1. My laptop (any my other 2018 Dell) just will not connect for several minutes and is unstable. The moment I change back all is well. I have not changed ANY settings on either router other than the 50.1 to 1.1 on at AX. Changing SSID makes no difference and yes, I always forget the network. So it's something deeper and weirder...

Just swapped in my AC 86U that's default IP is 1.1. I changed that to 50.1 and no problems so itsn't my laptops fault.!!! But for some reason both my laptops do not like the AX switching from 50.1 to 1.1. (I've even turned off AX and 160 before making the switch to 1.1 and I've tried both ASUS and Merlin lastest firmware. Think I'm at the end of the road. Buying another ASUS and a Nighthwak to see either of those work.

Last edited:
This has been discussed extensively in this forum over and over again. The routers and the clients store information about previous devices on the network. Swapping different models of routers with different Wifi capabilities while using the same SSIDs and changing the IP ranges is known to cause temporary problems. By constantly swapping and testing and switching routers and settings back and forth you are actually generating and regenerating the problems you are trying to overcome.

You might save a lot of time and effort by powering the clients off, updating the router with the latest firmware, reseting that router you intend to use and start over again with the exact setup you want to use.

Last edited:
Thanks. Needless to say I have looked around forums and couldnt find any of those you are referring to. I have also done all you suggested but as I say, the clients have no problem syncing with the AC when it swaps range. So router is being returned as I've all the tried all the things people have suggested. I had hoped it was a something technical that I has missed but it seems an anomaly so will try 2 new routers on Monday (one Asus and one Netgear).

I currently own and manage seven AX86Us in different physical locations with numerous different legacy, N, AC, and AX devices connected to them. It's one of the best performing and most reliable routers I have ever owned. The wireless problems you have been referring to such issues with the IP range settings have been posted about extensively. I also experienced issues due to the default 50.1 IP range of the AX86U and solved them with a fresh setup and new settings as I described. Previous users with similar problems always blame the new Asus router as being the source of their problem and live swapping and testing with their previous router in order to prove to themselves that it's the new Asus router that is causing the problem and most of the time it isn't. The swapping back and forth of hardware in fact often facilitates the problems they are trying to solve.

Most of the time it's a setting configuration problem, a setup problem, a firmware upgrade setting corruption issue, an issue with a legacy client not supporting the new Wifi settings, etc.. Once in a while there is a problem with faulty hardware or a bug in the firmware but that is less common. Of course this is a user support forum... it's not official technical support. It is recommended that you try contacting Asus technical support for their advice as well. I only posted information to help save you time and effort but of course you are welcome to continue your journey by exchanging and swapping new routers. Maybe a fresh setup with a new router will make you feel better about your purchase. I wish you the best. Let us know how it works out for you.

Last edited:
No I appreciate that. What I should have done was just remove every client from the new Asus, change it to 1.1 and then add one client back at a time. I didnt think to do that.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!