What's new

AX86U vs AX88U 2.4 GHz range

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sbsnb

Very Senior Member
I had an RT-AC88U for about 5 years and enjoyed 2.4 GHz signal everywhere on my property. This is important because cellular service here is horrible and I use WiFi calling. Since "upgrading" to an AX86U I have been sorely missing the range I used to get with the AC88U. The range is cut by at least 33% over the AC88U. Missed work calls because I was too far away from the house are getting annoying.

My hope is that the AX88U, although a bit older, will have a similar range as the AC88U because of the similar antenna setup. Can anybody confirm? Or is there another AX-capable router that can give me 2.4 GHz signal for at least 150 feet?

I had an RT-AC88U for about 5 years and enjoyed 2.4 GHz signal everywhere on my property. This is important because cellular service here is horrible and I use WiFi calling. Since "upgrading" to an AX86U I have been sorely missing the range I used to get with the AC88U. The range is cut by at least 33% over the AC88U. Missed work calls because I was too far away from the house are getting annoying.

My hope is that the AX88U, although a bit older, will have a similar range as the AC88U because of the similar antenna setup. Can anybody confirm? Or is there another AX-capable router that can give me 2.4 GHz signal for at least 150 feet?
If you still have the AC88U why not set it up as an AiMesh node to extend the range?

I'd just rather manage one router. 20W may seem like a tiny power draw, but at my current electrical rates it would cost around $50 more per year. Not a huge deal, but that stuff adds up.

I don't think it would work out well anyway. It would have to be located in the same shelf as the AX88U it seems like there would be a lot of intermod with that set up.

It won't draw 20W as an AP. Worth trying if you set different 2.4GHz channels and disable the 5GHz band completely on the RT-AC88U.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!