What's new

AX86U Wan speeds suddenly are now crap

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

1ceLaz0r

Regular Contributor
Had my ax86u for several months and it's been solid and great router. Until.........

Had to move to New place due to covid work restrictions and I got a nice bump in xfinity speed to 800-900 mbps after tech put it new splitter and filter and updated my Arris SB8200 to take advantage of new speed.

From raw modem, my gaming PC got over 900 mpbs! Schweeeet!

However, my ax86u refuses to go beyond 300-400mpbs on hardware, wifi on 5ghz not much better. Tried updating to nearest Asus firmware and it honestly got worst!

Did some Google and some say the trendmicro is to blame so I turned it off but no difference either.

Last idea is to hard reset ax86u. But if thst doesn't work, what else?

If you have not yet, go to the Administration / Privacy tab and Withdraw consent for Trend Micro. Then reboot. If it still isn’t better, then factory reset.

You mentioned that you moved to a "new place." Besides the wider bandwidth have you checked the surrounding WIFI environment? What worked at the old place may not work at the new place.
As a starting point: use dual band smart connect, use WPA2/WPA3, 5 GHz at 160 MHz on channel 36, 2.4 GHz at 20 MHz on channel 1, 6 or 11. Leave the rest of the Asus WIFI settings at default for now. You may have to do a hard factory reset with a manual configure to get back to a good starting point.
I have not had any show stopper issues with the current Asus firmware and feel the AX86U works a bit faster with Asus than with Merlin. Others have reportes WIFI slowing and there are reports of a "beta" Asus firmware that is supposed to work better. But, there is no verification that this is a genuine Asus firmware and I will not use it. I suspect there will be an official release soon to address frag attack.

I suspect there will be an official release soon to address frag attack.
Already addressed in latest release...number 9.

Screenshot 2021-06-24 181206.jpg

However, my ax86u refuses to go beyond 300-400mpbs on hardware
You enabling anything that would disable Hardware Acceleration, CTF and/or FA (flow acceleration)?
Some things that can disable them: Port Forwarding, QoS, IP Traffic Monitor, Parental Control

Are you experiencing this slowdown when you are transferring within the local network (not hitting the WAN port)? Or is this limited to the internet?

I'm grasping at straws here, but you could try setting the router to 'access point' mode and then test the speed from the WAN port within the local network to rule out a hardware issue.

Other than that, seems like you are having the same unsolved issue described here.

May be worth getting in touch with Asus support just to raise more awareness of the issue & hope for a fix.

Should just use cat5e or 6.
Perhaps this is your issue.

Same wiring was used previously used with no issues for internet and LAN file transfers.

Please stop posting mis information about my situation that you know nothing about

Please stop posting mis information about my situation that you know nothing about

Maybe you should follow your own advise given in another thread since you do not seem to have the knowledge to fix your issue.

I think its time you should just take a prozac and buy a different brand if Asus has butt hurt you so much cause you really are whining like a mule...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!