What's new

AX86U Wi-Fi connection gives my Wi-Fi devices public IP addresses and Router IP doesn't get detected in network scans.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

domic

Regular Contributor
I somehow cannot access the WebGUI for the router and it's kind of become a Wi-Fi repeater for my ISP instead of myself.

Is there a way to access the router WebGUI via LAN cable without factory resetting it?

I forgot to mention, the 2,5 Gbit LED is solid lit with a red color.
I don't know what that means though.

I somehow cannot access the WebGUI for the router and it's kind of become a Wi-Fi repeater for my ISP instead of myself.

Is there a way to access the router WebGUI via LAN cable without factory resetting it?
What happens if you disconnect it from you ISP device? Does it give you any address?

Might be a good idea to do a reset with the reset button or a hard factory reset. Plug the cable from the modem/ONT to the router WAN (1 GB) port and set it up again. Sounds like you tried to use the 2.5 GB port to the modem/ONT without proper config. If that is the case moving the cable to the WAN port may solve your issue.

To me it sound like a router configured with 2.5GbE port as WAN (the red light), but the modem/router is connected to the Gigabit WAN port, now just a LAN port (the LAN IPs mess).

Last edited:
Might be a good idea to do a reset with the reset button or a hard factory reset. Plug the cable from the modem/ONT to the router WAN (1 GB) port and set it up again. Sounds like you tried to use the 2.5 GB port to the modem/ONT without proper config. If that is the case moving the cable to the WAN port may solve your issue.
That's the last resort,

I think something happened when I tried to switch back from Repeater mode to Router Mode in the WebGUI and I got curious when selecting WAN type to 2,5 Gbit port instead of the 1 Gbit port.

Now I can't be surr that the router itself has internet access (since the DDNS service and ping tests don't answer me anymore. BUT somehow any WLAN or LAN cable devices I connect to the router get either APIPA addresses or their own PUBLIC IP adresses (such as a Windows PC among others, which is pretty much spreading your cheeks for the net's most mischievous fellows online.

and I got curious when selecting WAN type to 2,5 Gbit port instead of the 1 Gbit port

In Router Mode make sure your modem/router is connected to the 2.5GbE WAN port then.

Repeater Mode is wireless only. You have to read the manual before experimenting with settings.

I have my router's MAC adress written down.
Could I use Wireshark to sniff out any packets sent between my router and the PC in the hopes of being able to set up a manual way to connect to the router through some hidden physical network port/USB or other channel?

I was thinking I could try setting an ARP entry and manual IP entry to try force my way in through the Ethernet cable connection without having to figure out the routers current IP adress.

Any experience accessing the router the manual way?

To me it sound like a router configured with 2.5GbE port as WAN (the red light), but the modem/router is connected to the Gigabit WAN port, now just a LAN port (the LAN IPs mess).
I have my AX86U connected straight the wall (Ethernet jack) with no modem in between my ISP and me other than the invisible backbone switches in between us.

My LAN and WLAN devices (a few of them) get public IP adresses while the rest are stuck waiting for any DHCP server to give them an IP (sadly not my router but the ISP's routers. 🤔

I got lucky to remember trying to be my own ISP. I ran a DHCP server on a Windows box wired to the 2,5 Gbit port in the router and could access it through sheer luck that I still had the https port open on the WAN side. 👌

I figured out the LAN IP was not set to the usual 10.x.x.1 after switching back and forth between the router modes. It had taken the old WAN IP and put it on LAN NIC instead.

It's back to how it was before.

I got lucky to remember trying to be my own ISP. I ran a DHCP server on a Windows box wired to the 2,5 Gbit port in the router and could access it through sheer luck that I still had the https port open on the WAN side. 👌

I figured out the LAN IP was not set to the usual 10.x.x.1 after switching back and forth between the router modes. It had taken the old WAN IP and put it on LAN NIC instead.

It's back to how it was before.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!