What's new

AX88 - RAM Usage - how much is normal?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RT-AC86U may refuse to boot after soft reboot. This is one of the issues with this router.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac86u-sometimes-powers-completely-off-during-reboot.48296/
And scheduled reboot is not a solution, it's only a workaround. The software has to be fixed.
I meant it as a temporary till it is fixed, but that is absolutely insane that looks like some hard ware issue from what you linked, ether that or some major bug I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed already, that's unacceptable.

I meant it as a temporary till it is fixed, but that is absolutely insane that looks like some hard ware issue from what you linked, ether that or some major bug I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed already, that's unacceptable.

because it's been put on the to hard to do list

I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed already, that's unacceptable.

This is why it's never a good idea to reboot this router remotely or set scheduled reboot on it. Someone has to have physical access to it during reboots, otherwise it may just shut down. Mine usually reboots properly, but I've seen it go blank few times. The only fix it to turn the power switch off and on again. This is what this "gaming" router does pretty well - plays hide-and-seek with the users. :)

Honestly, if there was no @RMerlin to fix things here and there and make it more usable, I would dispose it long time ago.

I put a smart plug between my router and my ISP router. If a soft-boot fails I can force the powé off then back on locally or remotely assuming my ISP router is working :)

I put a smart plug between my router and my ISP router. If a soft-boot fails I can force the powé off then back on locally or remotely assuming my ISP router is working :)

Yes... to do soft reboots on RT-AC86U safely one needs a smart plug and a second router.
After >2 years of unsuccessful attempts to fix the problem, ASUS better puts this solution in the User Manual. :)

By the way, in few days I'm going to have one TP-Link Archer C2300 for testing. It's the same hardware as RT-AC86U. Let's see how TrendMicro (it's called HomeCare, same as AiProtection) and Samba work on this one. So far I hear only good things about it, especially in regards to WiFi performance. If it does what it says, I may have an ASUS router for recycling.

Last edited:
Yes... to do soft reboots on RT-AC86U safely one needs a smart plug and a second router.
After >2 years of unsuccessful attempts to fix the problem, ASUS better puts this solution in the User Manual. :)
In fairness, I would have the second router anyway as I prefer double NAT and can put my hue bridge, smart plug, VoIP ATA, etc outside my main network. So additional cost was $10, and I've never had to use it as I upgraded to the RT-AX88U.