What's new

AX88U & AC68U AiMesh Set-up Query

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rjbarker

Occasional Visitor
Hi folks.....apologies if this has been answered, likely it has, just looking for clarification.
I do build some pretty cool high end Water Cooled Gaming PC's, BUT Home Networking is not my forte, unfortunately.
In a pretty big 3 story home, just purchased new AX88U Router, which I will use as my Main router from my Cable modem and want to replace my plug in Extender down stairs with my old AC68U and try and set up AiMesh...
I have no way to hard wire my Node (AC68U), so from what I understand "backhaul" will be wireless via default 5Ghz band.
Does this mean I will not have the 5 Ghz band available or will it perhaps be slower due to it also being used as "backhaul" to main router?

Thanks in advance

Hi folks.....apologies if this has been answered, likely it has, just looking for clarification.
I do build some pretty cool high end Water Cooled Gaming PC's, BUT Home Networking is not my forte, unfortunately.
In a pretty big 3 story home, just purchased new AX88U Router, which I will use as my Main router from my Cable modem and want to replace my plug in Extender down stairs with my old AC68U and try and set up AiMesh...
I have no way to hard wire my Node (AC68U), so from what I understand "backhaul" will be wireless via default 5Ghz band.
Does this mean I will not have the 5 Ghz band available or will it perhaps be slower due to it also being used as "backhaul" to main router?

Thanks in advance

The wireless backhauls will share available WiFi with wireless clients. If using tri-band routers, then one band would be dedicated to the backhaul. If using a wired backhaul, then all bands can be freed for clients, or left shared for failover use.

Both backhauls will be listed in the Wireless log. AiMesh will use the strongest one.

AiMesh 2.0 firmware offers additional backhaul info. AiMesh 2.0 is being released and is still in beta as outlined here:

Your AC68U does not support Smart Connect node band steering, so I suggest you disable Smart Connect and set different SSIDs and fixed, non-DFS channels. My AiMesh install notes might offer some additional clues. Sorry, no AX notes yet.

Be sure to update firmware and then reset both nodes. Then configure the router/root node and add the remote node to it. Do not configure the remote node.

OE

Thanks for the speedy reply, to clarify (apologies)..
- When I update the FW on both my AX88U and AC68U this update will also include the AiMesh 2.0 as part of the Router FW package?
- I would disable the Smart Connect within the Main Router GUI ir Node GUI?
- Set different "SSID's and fixed" as in different names for 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz or different SSID's on Node, sorry kinda lost me there, can you please clarify?
I'm away at work and will be home in 10 days to try this set up....basically resetting up my entire Home Network.

I'm considering purchasing a 2nd AX88U , so 2 * 88U's + AC68U in Aimesh

Thanks for the speedy reply, to clarify (apologies)..
- When I update the FW on both my AX88U and AC68U this update will also include the AiMesh 2.0 as part of the Router FW package?
** Yes

- I would disable the Smart Connect within the Main Router GUI ir Node GUI?
**On the main-AX88 router.

- Set different "SSID's and fixed" as in different names for 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz or different SSID's on Node, sorry kinda lost me there, can you please clarify?
**Not sure what OE wanted to do here, but I know that as an AP, and in Aimesh, the 2nd router (AC68) would have the same name and passwords as the main router for the 2.4 and 5gz radios. <mywifi24gz> **and <mywifi5gz>
**The DFS is something that allows you to use channels outside of the default ones available during router setup. Non-DFS are the standard control channels. 2.4g- 3,6,11, et.al. 5gz -36,40,42,et.al.

I'm away at work and will be home in 10 days to try this set up....basically resetting up my entire Home Network.

I'm considering purchasing a 2nd AX88U , so 2 * 88U's + AC68U in Aimesh

I -think- I got all this right :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!