What's new

AX88U External disk?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scaramonga

Regular Contributor
Have a 500GB external SSD (USB-C to USB-A) that I wish to use with my AX88U for network sharing at home. Also wish to have a swapfile on this disk.

Can anyone tell me the painless way to go about this? AiDisk? I presume?, swapfile I'm lost lol?

Running Merlin's 386.1b3 ATM.

Thanks guys :)

Sharing is setup through the GUI as per the manual. USB Application > Servers Center > Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk.

If you SSH into the router and type amtm you can get it to create a persistent swap file for you. Option i > sw.

P.S. Why do you need a swap file?

So not AiDisk then? As for swap, just thought I'd create one as the disk is there lol :D

Happy New Year BTW :)

So not AiDisk then?

Read the explanations of each option you're interested in in the GUI or the manual (or Asus' website). AiDisk is for accessing the disk remotely from the internet. You said you wanted to share the disk on your home network, so that usually means Samba.

Creating a swap file for no reason is wasted effort and disk space. You can always add it later if you need to.

Yeah all works thx, apart from no devices on network can see the drive apart from my main PC. SMB 1.0 needed maybe? Oh well, Rome wasn't built in a day :)

*Edit*
Also, is it OK to use the HDD power down on an SSD? as the light on it burns when its on constantly, and enabling this turns it off after a period.

Last edited:
Yup, so no matter what I do, the Samba share don't work. Works fine from main PC, but all other 3 laptops with Win10 do not see anything on network? Neither do any of my other systems.

Reset, reboot, install SMB 1.0, change IP, set fixed, re-flash router, reset, reboot, power off, hold my crouch, reset Windows network settings, reinstall system again, point antenna's at the moon @ a 90 degree angle, nothing. Only system that can see drive is main PC which is Ethernet. So it's a wireless thing? Tried 2.4, 5, security, no security, AX, no AX, N only, no N, open, 20, 40, 80, 160 Mhz, and all together holding hands.

Any other way I can share a drive on my network, apart from FTP?

Try using the current release version of the firmware, 384.19. 386.1b3 is a beta version so you test it at your own risk.

.....it's why I upgraded, 384.19 didn't work either.

Curious if anyone has a solution. I am looking to do the exact same thing but I am unable to see the drive as well

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!