What's new

AX88U Pro GNP Guest SSIDs on nodes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jg01

Occasional Visitor
I suspect this has already been reported somewhere, that asuswrt will only support one guest SSID per band on aimesh nodes, and no vlan guest IDs if the node is in AP mode (didn't try that one).

I did however find it interesting that I could add vlans to the wired backhaul which the 88UP handled fine. I have the backhaul going through a couple managed switches that I'm using for poe devices and a fiber connection to a detached garage.

Good that you've found sufficient resolution.

Which firmware level are you using? Is it the 3.0.0.4 or the 3.0.0.6?

I suspect this has already been reported somewhere, that asuswrt will only support one guest SSID per band on aimesh nodes, and no vlan guest IDs if the node is in AP mode (didn't try that one).

I did however find it interesting that I could add vlans to the wired backhaul which the 88UP handled fine. I have the backhaul going through a couple managed switches that I'm using for poe devices and a fiber connection to a detached garage.

I am running two AX88U Pros on wired backhaul and the node refuses to transmit the Guest network. ASUS claims the Pro does not support such functionality which blows my mind.

The whole VLAN thing is foreign to me. Are you saying you setup a VLAN as a pseudo guest network from the VLAN menu p, not the Guest Network menus and aren’t having issues with it transmitting on the node? If so, is that VLAN isolated from the main network?

I have serious heartburn with ASUS and this whole guest network debacle.

I am running two AX88U Pros on wired backhaul and the node refuses to transmit the Guest network. ASUS claims the Pro does not support such functionality which blows my mind.

The whole VLAN thing is foreign to me. Are you saying you setup a VLAN as a pseudo guest network from the VLAN menu p, not the Guest Network menus and aren’t having issues with it transmitting on the node? If so, is that VLAN isolated from the main network?
Guest Network Pro creates vlans for each guest network. My non-guest subnet is 50, all the guests are different. The limitation asus support finally got around to telling me was we only get one guest ssid per band on aimesh nodes. So only my 100 and 110 guest ssids are available on the node, which you can see where I was able to set it to be available on the node under the AiMesh Mode section. Also note here that I've separated the 2.4 and 5 G bands into different ssids. If both bands were enabled in the same ssid I assume that'd consume the limit of one/band.

1707580824964.png

Last edited:
Also note here that I've separated the 2.4 and 5 G bands into different ssids. If both bands were enabled in the same ssid I assume that'd consume the limit of one/band.
Interesting. I'd likely assume that "per band" meant just that. SSID is different than band. Have you /tried/ the same SSID to confirm what they'd told you?

No, I didn't test that. I'm on the current non-beta asuswrt version. Two thoughts:

My vlans in GNP have wrench icons because I didn't use the buttons in GNP to create them. I instead used the LAN/VLAN/Profile tab, followed by adjustments made on the GNP tab. I suspect this distinction means nothing, but that was my process.

I also fully configured the main router, then added the node after a factory reset. Do a full power reboot of the main box after configuring GNP, and/or before adding the node.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!