What's new

AX88U vs ax85U range comparison

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ark1g09

New Around Here
I've tried to look but there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus on whether the AX88U has superior range to the AX85U (talking about range and range only - not throughput etc.).

Anyone care to chime in?

I have both the RT-AX88U and the RT-AX58U. From my experience the 58U’s range is pretty solid up to about 1800 sq. ft. or so and then it starts to degrade a bit. The RT-AX88U has better range and easily covers 2500 sq. ft. with a strong signal. Of course YMMV depending on your situation.

The old RT-N66U lived during a different WiFi environment than today's routers do.

The range was great back then, but throughput is superior, with the latest routers and clients. Even at the fringe edges.

Being merely connected isn't the same as having a functional connection for today's uses. And if the range is significantly less in a normal-sized home, then the setup needs attention, IMO. :)

58u is good up to around 15-20ft of solid wifi performance. @ 30 feet, the speed drops significantly. A high quality 4x4 AC router is better at this distance.

58u is good up to around 15-20ft of solid wifi performance. @ 30 feet, the speed drops significantly. A high quality 4x4 AC router is better at this distance.

Im using a RT-AX58U right now as I write this and the router is on the second floor and I’m approximately 30 ft. away. I’ve got full isp speeds and a -60db signal on the 5ghz band. I also have a RT-AX88U and the 58U range and performance is pretty close to the AX88U. If you have a AX58U and it can’t throw a strong signal 30 ft. it’s defective.

Im using a RT-AX58U right now as I write this and the router is on the second floor and I’m approximately 30 ft. away. I’ve got full isp speeds and a -60db signal on the 5ghz band. I also have a RT-AX88U and the 58U range and performance is pretty close to the AX88U. If you have a AX58U and it can’t throw a strong signal 30 ft. it’s defective.

Might be your environment. I returned mine for poor performance.. MarkB (3rd party reveiwer) had similar results to me with an AX200 client so I doubt its defective. https://www.mbreviews.com/asus-rt-ax58u-review/2/

With an 86u based design (GT-AC2900), I have full wired speed (480mbps. 80mhz bonding) over 30 feet away. The XR450 I tried (R7800 design) would do 450-480mbps (80mhz and 160mhz bonding) depending on interference. The AX58U would only top around 350-360mbps download speeds (both 80mhz + 160mhz bonding, low channel bank 36-64) for me in the best case scenario of multiple tests.

Moving the client closer to router yielded much more consistent results and wired speeds.. maybe the AX58U can do full speeds at 30feet distance, but its clear cut that the 86u and r7800 designs are just better through all the wireless BS lol

I think it has a lot to do the 2T limitation. If I enable 160mhz mode on my GT-AC2900, performance is really similar to the 58U... hence why I keep my unit in 4x4/80mhz mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I just got a AX200 client and haven’t tested it yet I’ll get back to you on that. But as far as wired and wireless speeds on the AX58U they’re better than the results you experienced by quite a bit.
Like I posted before YYMV, maybe I have network nirvana and don’t know it.

Well I'm limited to my ISP speed which is a 400mbps plan. I peak 480mbps pretty consistently on LAN.

I believe if you have a 1 gig connection, there's better general throughput regardless of the max potential Modem/LAN speed on a lower tier connection. The same thing goes for modem designs... For example: I swapped to my ISP's DOCSIS 3.1 modem a few months back and my WIFI throughput changed quite a bit regardless of the same 480mbps I was getting on the routers LAN ports with the old modem.. There's intricacies to wireless all around.

Regardless, MarkB's testing is pretty similar to my environment when testing best possible scenarios so I tend to trust him as a resource even if it isn't fully scientific via full channel testing as that will obviously change depending on local interference.

I think the AX82U with the same HW as the AX58U will be extremely close to my GT-AC2900 due to its fully enabled 4x4:4 radio.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!