What's new

Ax88U wireless to wired

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is the RP-AC68U going to be any good at pulling in the apartment WiFi signal?

Good? It will be overkill, most likely, I doubt that they are offering more than the two streams that the RT-AC56U could do. :)

What are the expected speeds on a 'quiet' network at the new apartment?

I wasn't able to speak to a tech person. Only an office manager. They said it's 100/100 up and down but because it's wifi it fluctuates. So likely not quite 100Mbbit.

I wasn't able to speak to a tech person. Only an office manager. They said it's 100/100 up and down but because it's wifi it fluctuates. So likely not quite 100Mbbit.

Then the RT-AC68U is most likely overkill. Not that it would be a bad thing. :)

Connecting via 5GHz to their WiFi would possibly be an edge for gaming though. Any gaming that requires that last millisecond of responsiveness?

If not, then the RT-N12 D1 is more than sufficient with its 300Mbps connection speeds.

Then the RT-AC68U is most likely overkill. Not that it would be a bad thing. :)
Don't confuse the RT-AC68U with the RP-AC68U, they are completely different devices. The RP-AC68U was plagued with "issues", I don't know whether or not they were fixed.

@Kahless You said earlier that you will need a password for the WiFi. Do you know if that means the normal password you would expect to type in when connecting to WiFi, or is there another password to enter - like a login page. If it's the later then a standard "repeater" won't be sufficient, you'll need something that supports captive portals as was discussed in that other thread.

If you don't know the details at this time it would probably be simpler to not worry about it now and wait until you move in and can see the setup.

Don't confuse the RT-AC68U with the RP-AC68U, they are completely different devices. The RP-AC68U was plagued with "issues", I don't know whether or not they were fixed.

I went back and saw that I did indeed misread the RP-AC68U for the RT-AC68U, thank you for pointing this out!

@Kahless, my previous posts were all assuming the RT-AC68U, please adjust accordingly. ;)

Likely whatever I get it will be Overkill, it's a hobby lol.

Yes I assume it's a password I enter into the wifi for the SSID I am connecting to. I hope it is not a login page. Won't know for a little bit as the apartment is still being built. That is is good point though

Is the RP-AC68U going to be any good at pulling in the apartment WiFi signal?
IMO better not to use the RP or is it that cheap or do you have one in spare?
Better go with an RT-type which are well supported here, like RT-AC68U or RT-AC66U_B1 or RT-AC56U mentioned above.

PS: sorry didnt see the other answeres (have been on previous page).
PPS: Just in case this will be relevant for you some day usable anywhere else too: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac68u-as-repeater-at-hotel.56005/#post-484108

Last edited:
No didn't have that model already it's about $200. I read a review on it and it seemed to have impressive range. Not sure how far the apartment WiFi antenna is. Thought this one might be able to make a good signal. Cost really wasn't a concern.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!