What's new

AX88U with 2 XT8 nodes - wireless backhaul

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fuechslein

Occasional Visitor
I have a problem with my setup. I'm using an AX88U as router and would like to use one XT8 wired and the other XT8 wireless with AiMesh. Now what I would like to have is that the node with wireless backhaul would use the dedicated 5GHz-2 wifi to communicate with the wired XT8 node. But that just doesn't work, it will always use 2.4Ghz. I tried all kind of combinations of latest official and beta firmwares.

Main network is using channel 36 and I can see one hidden network on channel 100 from the wired XT8. When I wire up both XT8's then I see two hidden networks on channel 100.

I do understand that the wireless node cannot connect to my AX88U since 5Ghz-2 is limited to channels 100-140 but why doesn't it connect to the other XT8 over the dedicated wireless backhaul?

a little FYI for u - for sake of simplicity the X88U is dual-band while the XT8 is tri-band. Because the 88U is short a band it's not possible.

^^^ Yeah I would think mixing Dual Band and tri Band Routers in a mesh set up may not be optimal.....just got my XT8's....I didnt even open the box the AX88U is in..its going back...

a little FYI for u - for sake of simplicity the X88U is dual-band while the XT8 is tri-band. Because the 88U is short a band it's not possible.

I know its a little late but according to asus faq it should work: [AiMesh] What is Dedicated Wireless Backhaul(DWB)? How does it work? | Official Support | ASUS USA
And just for the sake of clarity: I was trying to have the wired XT8 communicate over the dedicated backhaul with the wireless XT8

Well, after contacting asus support they told me it is a hardware defect and I could get them replaced. Waiting for the replacement now.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!