What's new

AX89X static address limitation ?!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jeremypsl

New Around Here
Hello,

I just bought an Asus AX89X router as the main router for my home.
Problem : i have a lot of automation devices in wifi.
I absolutely need to set them with static address and i just figured out that this router limit static address to 64 ?!
I already have 80+ Shelly devices…
My previous router has no limit for that.
So why ?!

Thanks to explain this to me but i think im gonna send back this router because of this i can’t use it in my home.

Hello,

I just bought an Asus AX89X router as the main router for my home.
Problem : i have a lot of automation devices in wifi.
I absolutely need to set them with static address and i just figured out that this router limit static address to 64 ?!
I already have 80+ Shelly devices…
My previous router has no limit for that.
So why ?!

Thanks to explain this to me but i think im gonna send back this router because of this i can’t use it in my home.
if it was a router that supported Merlin then you could work around it :(

As has been mentioned the router you have is not supported by merlin and so there is no onboard means to increase the number of manual DHCP address reservations. If you keep this router, then you'll need either need to change the manner through which you are controlling the devices, or introduce a device into your network that can take over the DHCP task from the router. *Most means of controlling Shelly devices don't require manually assigned addresses.*

It's perfectly possible to turn off the router DHCP and run a DHCP server from a Pi-Zero ( https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=238746 ) plugged directly into the router for both power and data (100Mbps will do - DHCP is not challenging). If you need those static addresses because of a homebrew hub, then it may even be possible to run the DHCP server on that hub (needs to be 24/7!).

Last edited:
There is no limit to static addresses as they are assigned at the client. Manually assigned are at the router

It is so much simple to setup all static addresses in the router...
My old Netgear did it perfectly...
I'm gonna return to it, thanks anyway.

No, the router does not assign static addresses. It manually assigns addresses. And, I have found that once the Asus router assigns an address via DHCP the address never changes.

No, the router does not assign static addresses. It manually assigns addresses. And, I have found that once the Asus router assigns an address via DHCP the address never changes.
its true.. im just use auto dhcp.. and it never change even restart

Just for reference, that's called a static lease, which is not the same as giving a device a static IP address. However, functionally it works in a very similar fashion when it comes to the assigned IP address to the device.
I think this is why there was some confusion here in the answers.

if it was a router that supported Merlin then you could work around it :(
I have a RT-AX86U running Merlin. When I go into LAN -> DHCP Server tab, it still says the limit is 64 manually assigned IP addresses. Are you saying that this is just a remnant of the stock firmware and Merlin will allow you to go beyond the 64 manually assigned IP addresses?

I have a RT-AX86U running Merlin. When I go into LAN -> DHCP Server tab, it still says the limit is 64 manually assigned IP addresses. Are you saying that this is just a remnant of the stock firmware and Merlin will allow you to go beyond the 64 manually assigned IP addresses?
The GUI is still limited to 64 entries but you can use custom scripts or config files to get around the limit if needs be.

The GUI is still limited to 64 entries but you can use custom scripts or config files to get around the limit if needs be.

The ax89 not support merlin :-(

Looks like manual IP assignment (up to 128) will finally be forthcoming in a future fw update!:
128manuallease.png

Yes, 9.xxx versions are usually Beta releases.

thanks for the info, i only see the 45140 not the 9.x :)

this update will be very important for some users with a lot of iot devices (like me)

The current ASUS 3.0.0.4.386_45898 firmware for the AX86U has the 128 manual assigned IP address limit.

thanks for the info, i only see the 45140 not the 9.x :)

this update will be very important for some users with a lot of iot devices (like me)
Indeed, this was quite a limitation for how I prefer to setup my network. Seeing this in the beta was quite an unexpected surprise. I received this build after contacting Asus about a different issue I've been plagued with for the past few releases. They usually respond within 48hrs whenever I've reached out, and can quickly send a beta if it's something they are already working on. I can confirm that I can now manually assign 64+ devices.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!