What's new

Axe 16000 WAN Aggregation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

houghton19

Regular Contributor
Not an expert when it comes to this type of thing, I’m in the unfortunate position where I live we still haven’t got fibre/FTTP. Now I know it’s coming, and fairly soon, I bought the 16000 in preparation a few months ago, since then it seems two providers are hitting our village hard. So the one that looks like it is going to be here first is virgin media (uk) and when Openreach install their FTTP i can get a good discount on their gigabit package. If i was to take Virgin first, and was tied into a 12/24 month contract, AND then took out a line with an alternative network running on openreach network, does WAN Aggregation let me combine the two to get a overall speed of 2gig (1 from each) or does it just act as like a fall over?

So basically the two questions are, can I use 2 different ISPs?

Does the speed combine or just help support.

Thanks.

Not an expert when it comes to this type of thing, I’m in the unfortunate position where I live we still haven’t got fibre/FTTP. Now I know it’s coming, and fairly soon, I bought the 16000 in preparation a few months ago, since then it seems two providers are hitting our village hard. So the one that looks like it is going to be here first is virgin media (uk) and when Openreach install their FTTP i can get a good discount on their gigabit package. If i was to take Virgin first, and was tied into a 12/24 month contract, AND then took out a line with an alternative network running on openreach network, does WAN Aggregation let me combine the two to get a overall speed of 2gig (1 from each) or does it just act as like a fall over?

So basically the two questions are, can I use 2 different ISPs?

Does the speed combine or just help support.

Thanks.

If I'm remembering Asus' terminology correctly, WAN aggregation lets you use two gig ports (along with a compatible ISP modem) to get >1 gig from a single ISP when they don't support 2.5GIG or 10G ports.

What you are talking about is dual WAN where you can have some stuff go out each ISP and/or fail over. You can't combine them into a 2 gig single connection, that's not how networking works, but you can divide devices between both.

I may be confusing the Asus terminology though, long story short, no you can't make it a single connection with the combined bandwidth, but you can make use of both connections by spreading your clients between the two (and also having failover in case of an outage). But each client would see a max of 1 gig.

Thanks for the replies. I’m not sure why but I did comment ages ago saying thanks but for some reason it hasn’t worked 🤷🏻‍♂️

So thanks again!!!!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!