What's new

backup of entware and jffs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ojigi

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I used to use use bontmia for backup many years ago and now I see rsnapshot among other being mentioned.

What is the recommended tool to use for backup of entire entware installation as well as jffs partition?

I have a RPi with an SSD on LAN that I can place backups on (preferably over ssh).

BR

Why not just tar the directories to timestamp'd filenames and copy (scp) the files to the remote store. Use the scheduler (cron) to do so from a script on a regular basis. Simple.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
NOW="$(date +'%Y-%m-%d-%H%M%S')"

JFFS_TAR="/tmp/jffs_${NOW}.tar"
OPT_TAR="/tmp/opt_${NOW}.tar"

tar -cpf $JFFS_TAR -C /jffs .
tar -cpf $OPT_TAR -C /opt .

scp -q $JFFS_TAR $OPT_TAR root@192.168.1.100:/mystore/

rm $JFFS_TAR $OPT_TAR

This presupposes the existence of the store folder on the remote system, and that you're using PKI (public/private keypairs) for the scp (ssh) login.

Of course, I'm just illustrating core essentials here. You could get more sophisticated and report errors, send an email when completed, report completion to the syslog, auto-delete expired backups, etc.

For these two relatively small directories, I don't think it requires anything more sophisticated than tar + scp.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!