What's new

BE98 DNS over TLS Problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jixiangyuan

Occasional Visitor
Hi, it seems like my GT-BE98 cannot use DNS over TLS. When I set it to the DNS server addresses provided by Adguard, '94.140.14.14' and 'dns.adguard-dns.com,' hit apply, and reconnect my phone to the Wi-Fi, visiting any website results in the error message, 'This site can't be reached - ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED.' Strangely, this setting works with my AXE11000 router. I also tried the Google Preset server, and it gives me the same error message.

Your settings look correct. Did you also add the second resolver: 94.140.15.15 with dns.adguard-dns.com And did you add 94.140.14.14 and 94.140.15.15 to the WAN DNS Server settings?
Possible AdGuard is having issues

Your settings look correct. Did you also add the second resolver: 94.140.15.15 with dns.adguard-dns.com And did you add 94.140.14.14 and 94.140.15.15 to the WAN DNS Server settings?
Possible AdGuard is having issues
Hi, thank you for your reply. I did add the second DNS, 94.140.15.15, but it's still not working. I have my AXE11000 with me as well, it's working properly with the exact same settings. I suspect it's a firmware related issue. The product still feels unpolished even after 4 months since it's initial release :(

feels unpolished even after 4 months since it's initial release

After 4 months? 🤭

Report the issues to Asus for a chance to get most annoying ones fixed in next 24 months...

Hi, thank you for your reply. I did add the second DNS, 94.140.15.15, but it's still not working. I have my AXE11000 with me as well, it's working properly with the exact same settings. I suspect it's a firmware related issue. The product still feels unpolished even after 4 months since it's initial release :(
OK, but what do you have in the WAN DNS Server settings? And does it work if DoT is turned off?

OK, but what do you have in the WAN DNS Server settings? And does it work if DoT is turned off?
I tried both the Adguard DNS preset and the automatic/Default DNS settings. Both of them work with DoT turned off, but they are give the error message with DoT turned on :(

I tried both the Adguard DNS preset and the automatic/Default DNS settings. Both of them work with DoT turned off, but they are give the error message with DoT turned on :(
OK, do you have DNSSEC enabled?
Have you tried another upstream resolver like Cloudflare or Quad9?

OK, do you have DNSSEC enabled?
Have you tried another upstream resolver like Cloudflare or Quad9?
After I enabled DNSSEC with DoT, it gives me a different error message now "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG"🫠
Surprisingly, the cloudlfare one works, but the Google DoT gives the same error message as Adguard.

After I enabled DNSSEC with DoT, it gives me a different error message now "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG"🫠
Surprisingly, the cloudlfare one works, but the Google DoT gives the same error message as Adguard.
Quad9 DoT also works, along with Cloudflare, at least with my BE96. Get same error message as you with the others mentioned.

Hmm I am using DOT with nextdns and have had zero issues honestly. I know for me these settings have to be turned to NO:

1711514356943.png

No issues ever since I set it up day one. Just wanted to throw my 2 cents. I even setup controld for testing using DOT and had zero issues.