What's new

Best 2.4ghz coverage Asus router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

taured

Occasional Visitor
I'm looking for the best 2.4ghz coverage/range Asus router.
Thinking of the AC66U B1, but maybe there's something better out there, max budget 100-150$ used/new

I don’t know if this product is available in your country, but Asus has a 2020 model Qualcomm SoC based RT-N19 model with 4x4 2.4GHz radio only, 4x external antennas and pretty good coverage. I’ve seen it for about $50 equivalent in Europe. Has the same Asuswrt style GUI with similar settings.

The last stock firmware for the RT-N19 is from January 2021, it seems a dead product.
I suggest a RT-AC68U or RT-AC66U B1 or RT-AC1900, basically 3 times the same router and fully supported with frequent firmware updates.
Those are 3x3 routers, while most clients devices are 2x2 at best, they will fulfill your needs.
I have a RT-AC68U as main router positioned on the lowest floor, 2.4 GHz does nicely cover two (concrete) floors of our house and even the third floor is quite ok.

Last edited:
The last stock firmware for the RT-N19 is from January 2021, it seems a dead product.
I suggest a RT-AC68U or RT-AC66U B1 or RT-AC1900, basically 3 times the same router and fully supported with frequent firmware updates.
Those are 3x3 routers, while most clients devices are 2x2 at best, they will fulfill your needs.
I have a RT-AC68U as main router positioned on the lowest floor, 2.4 GHz does nicely cover two (concrete) floors of our house and even the third floor is quite ok.
Some are talking about poor performance on the AC66U B1.... any thoughts??

Look for an on-sale RT-AX68U model. You should easily get one in your price range. Much better hardware than the RT-AC66U_B1.

The 2.4GHz band/range should be the same or more.

For the maximum usable 2.4GHz range, the old RT-AC3100 was the best router I've ever had/used. Don't know if it's worth buying one today though.

For a new purchase I would still prefer a router that get regular firmware updates.

I agree, but AC66U B1 firmware updates are not guaranteed either. If Asus decides to drop it when moving to 388 code, nothing you can do about it.

Specific use product, but with the best penetration 2.4GHz radio I’ve seen on a home router. It beats much more expensive APs. Good for AP use, for dedicated IoT radio.
Would you say that the N19 has much better 2.4GHz coverage/penetration than the AC66U B1 ?

The place we used 4x RT-N19 routers for access points was reinforced concrete structure with porous concrete walls. Nothing 5GHz worked there behind a single wall. RT-N19 had better penetration on 2.4GHz than RT-AC68U and EAP115. It was surprising, actually. The router is quite ugly with 4x long non-detachable external antennas, relatively compact body, 2x LAN ports only, comes in a pizza box shaped packaging. The idea came from a local resident, the price was about €40. I didn't know such products exists and 2020 model. This product is not available in North America though.

Incidentally I saw the RT-N19 new sold in a large store in Europe, cost EUR 34.
And the RT-AC1900U for EUR 84.
If you don't need top WiFi speeds and go for low cost, EUR 34 sounds never a waste of money.
Realise that the advertised 600 Mbps can in theory only be reached if you utilize all four streams at 40 MHz.
In practise you shall use 20 MHz on 2.4 GHz, and most clients only use 1 or 2 data streams, that limits the maximum expected data rate to 72.2 or 150 Mbps.

I would still consider the option for (nearby) higher speeds on AC or AX for more money.

In general, my usable range on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz has increased as I upgraded from N66U to AC68U to AC86U to AX86U. Since the rules have not changed, I assume the gain has been from better radio circuitry inside the router.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!