What's new

Best 4 bay NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Morbeas

Occasional Visitor
I'm looking to upgrade my ReadyNAS Duo and go to a 4 bay device. I also need it to be compatible with the 3 TB WD Green drives. (model WD30EZRSDTL)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

How much are you looking to spend, and where are you in the world, so that we can quote relevant prices?

I know the Synology range of NAS's are compatible with the new 3TB drives, namely the Western Digital WD30EZRS-11J99B0 ($200) and Seagate ST33000651AS (no prices)

Prices are from NewEgg and do not include hard drives

Models to choose from Synology
DS411j - 1.2GHZ CPU 128MB RAM - $350
DS410 - 1.06GHz CPU 512MB RAM - $500 (may soon to be replaced with the DS411, which I expect to have a 1.6GHz CPU and 512MB RAM)
DS411+ - 1.67 GHz dual core CPU 1GB RAM - $630
DS1511+ - 1.8GHz dual core 1GB RAM - $870 - this is actually a 5 bay model which can be expanded with up to 2 x Synology's DX510 expansion units, giving a possible 15 total drives

I was going to list QNAP's 4 bay models, but after looking at their web site, they don't appear to support the new 3TB drives yet

Last edited:
Regarding the previous listing, the cpu architechtures are completely different, so don't take the clock speeds as an indicator on performance. The 1.06ghz processor in the 410 should be quite a bit faster then the 1.2ghz in the 411j. The 411+ and 1511+ are x86 cpu's and significantly faster then the other two.